Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

Is Sulfameth/ Trimethoprim 800/160 used for Bladder Infection

Is Sulfameth/ Trimethoprim 800/160 used for Bladder Infection Treatment? I still have 12 pills left from a previous facial Infection treatment, but was told to discontinue, because they put me on a different antibiotic. If so, how many a day should i take, and is there something else i can get over the counter?   Can you guys prescribe those Antibotics over the web? Seems like a silly question, but i guess it doesn't hurt to ask.
thank you so much
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 7 years ago.

It's not a good idea to self medicate, it's better to get urine test done and confirm UTI before taking antibiotics.
Just to address your concern:
Sulphamethoxazole & trimethoprim can be used to treat urinary tract infection. Usual duration of treatment in adult is 10 to 14 days.
You can not get prescription on line, you should visit your doctor in person for prescription.
In the mean time drink adequate water and cranberry juice.