Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.

Hello. My period is one day late. For the past 5 days I have

Hello. My period is one day late. For the past 5 days I have been having very light cramps, gas, constipation, and very sore breasts. I am taking perphenazine and I have been under stress. Could the stress be delaying my period? Would I still have period symptoms if under stress? And if I test for pregnancy, how long should I wait and should I have a blood test done because of the medication? Please give me your honest opinion about my situation. Thanks.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 7 years ago.
The symptoms that you describe could occur with pregnancy, but could also occur with a number of other conditions, pregnancy cannot be diagnosed form these symptoms itself.

There is of course always a chance of pregnancy with unprotected exposure. But stress also can cause both delay of your period and also the other symptoms.

The way to rule this out is pregnancy tests. You should go for a home pregnancy test, these kits are available at any pharmacy OTC, you should ask for a home pregnancy urine test kit. These are most reliable when done 7 days after a missed period. The earliest that this test can be done is on the first day of your missed period. So you can do this test now.

If it is negative you have to repeat it after a week. If your periods have not come within three weeks, then you will need to do a blood test for pregnancy, for which you have to approach a doctor.

However, if you want to know the results at the earliest, then you have to do a blood test for pregnancy which can detect pregnancy upto 4 days before the due date of the period. The blood test also gives much more accurate results than the urine test. You have to approach a doctor for this.

For some more info on pregnancy tests, you can look up this site:

For some symptoms of early pregnancy, you may look up this site: (If the link doesn't work, type in "symptoms of pregnancy" in the search box of the Mayo clinic web site)

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green ‘accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.