Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S with experience in Medicine,Ayurveda, Integrative, CAM
2598649

I am experiencing over production of saliva - my mouth keeps

I am experiencing over production of saliva - my mouth keeps filling with water. I have had this several times before in my life (in my early 20s it was quite persistent) and also in 1st trimestre of pregnancy when it was related to pregnancy sickness. I am 42 and otherwise in very good health, still breastfeeding my 2nd child who is 2.

I've heard of dry mouth problems with increasing age, but understand that the opposite problem is very rare. Any ideas please, as it's quite a distressing feeling.

Thank you.
Category: Health
Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 7 years ago.
Hypersalivation can be caused by overproduction or decreased clearance of saliva .
Causes of hypersalivation include
Pregnancy
Excessive starch intake
Gastroesophageal reflux disease
Oral infections.
Toxins can also cause hypersalivation.
Tonsillitis
As such your diet may be a cause of such symptoms .
Some patients find relief with use of mouthwash and tooth brushing, which might have a drying effect .

I hope this helps
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for your reply so far. You say my diet may be the cause, but I eat a pretty healthy diet so don't know which foods could be a problem. Can you suggest any foods to avoid? The only possible problem with my diet is a calorie drink I am prescribed, called Ensure Plus, since I need all the calories I can get with breastfeeding and was a bit underweight. Ensure is high in sugar (therefore starch), but I have been drinking it for a year without previous problems.

Thank you

(I promise I will pay - I will not forget)

Sarah

Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 7 years ago.
In general, avoid too many oily foods.
Stay away from too much salt .

Eat less of the salty, sweet and sour tastes .

Clear vegetable soups should be taken in routine .

Carrots, asparagus, okra, bitter leafy greens, cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts, daikon radish and bitter gourd are good vegetable choices for you .

I hope this helps

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Can I just confirm that the payment will be £10? I am happy to pay that amount, but do not wish to be charged more than this.

Regards,

Sarah

Expert:  Onlinedoc replied 7 years ago.
Yes you 'll pay £10.
It's ok.
Thanks for using justanswer.com