Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

what is causing deep aching pain in my leg. i had a scan

what is causing deep aching pain in my leg. i had a scan for blood clots today and the tech said she didnt see any or else i would not have been allowed to leave. there is no tingling ,etc. just deep pain which wakes me up at night with milder pain in the daytime.

Greetings.

Do you have any back problem?

Are you diabetic?

Are you on any medications?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am 64 years old, no known back problems, other than my back gets tired if i do something out of the ordinary or use it more than usual. I am not a diabetic and i take atenolol 25mg. for high blood pressure.

Thanks for further information.

Your leg pain should be further investigated for the pinched nerves in back, which can give this radiculopathy pain. This can be due to spinal canal stenosis or degenerative disc disease / sciatica. Read about these conditions;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sciatica/DS00516

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/spinal-stenosis/DS00515

A vitamin B1, B6, B12 deficiency may also be sometimes responsible for these symptoms. This is called as nutritional neuropathy. Getting blood estimation of B1, B6, B12 would be good and you should start the supplement of vitamin B complex, which do not need prescription.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX not eating as well as i used to because of reflux and the softer foods are making me gain weight. I also wondered if it was due to not getting proper vitaimins and i am sure losing some weight always helps.

Yes, the supplements should be helpful to you and weight loss helps if the problem is due to the back in long term.

You may also ask your physician if he considers this pain to be restless leg syndrome. Read about it;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/restless-legs-syndrome/DS00191

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun