A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
3157612

What would cause someones skin to smell of mildew Shes

Customer Question

What would cause someone's skin to smell of mildew? She's clean, her clothes are clean, her towels smell fine, her hair is clean. I'm stumped. It's not oral related, or ear related. If I'm next to her neck and skin, I can smell a scent which to me smells like actual mildew. There seems to be no other skin related issues. Can this come from an overgrowth of candidiasis? With the scent coming through her skin (not unlike when someone eats a lot of garlic, it emanates from their skin), what would this indicate?
thanks
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Does anyone else notice the odor or is it just you?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Seems to be just me...I can only smell when I get next to her skin...but so far this is only the neck region, and it;s definitely on the skin or coming through her pores. SInce I don;t like the smell of mildew, it's really off-putting.

Thanks for the additional information. The first thing would be to ask someone else to smell the area and see if they notice any different odor. Sometimes it is a minor problem with one person's sense of smell rather than that the other person has an unusual odor.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX not as helpful as I need. This is someone I'm dating and cannot ask someone else to smell her neck....and it is stopping things from proceeding at this point.
As you can imagine, this subject would be very difficult to broach, so I'm looking to understand some of the reasons something like this might occur, besides the obvious ones.

Thanks for that additional information. There is nothing that can be eaten or drunk that will cause an odor just on one area of the skin. It is from all parts of the skin. She may be using some moisturizer, or wrinkle cream, or even some makeup or haircare product whose odor is offensive to you. Frankly, other than discussing it with her, I really don't see how you can get to the bottom of it. No doubt she is wondering why things aren't proceeding and would be relieved if you would ask her what she wears that "has an odor" rather than "smells like mildew" although you can certainly share that perception once the conversation gets started.