Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

when I swallow I feel like there is a lump in my chest. I can

when I swallow I feel like there is a lump in my chest. I can also feel it when exercising. I think it is my esophagus that is causing the sensation. When I inhale as much as I can I can feel the weird sensation in my chest as well. I recently went to the E.R. due to chest and back pain, after an EKG and chest x-ray I was diagnosed with inflammation of the cartilage of the ribs. Heart and lungs were healthy. I also experience a mild wheezing if I exhale air hard and fast.
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

In order to visualize the esophagus then you would need a barium swallow and an upper GI endoscopy. It is unlikely that you would have wheezing with a problem in your esophagus.

I would recommend that you also have lung function tests to explore the wheezing issue.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I told the doctor at the e.r. about the weezing but a stethoscope did not pick up any wheezing. The only way to hear the minor wheeze is by forcing the exhalation breath out.
Can a health clinic perform lung function tests?
Expert:  Pauline replied 7 years ago.

The ability to perform lung function tests depends on the clinic. If they deal with asthma patients then they will have the equipment.

In terms of your wheeze, this may not be anything to worry about however if it is only heard on forced exhalation and all other tests are normal, then see a ENT doctor for a review as he/she is experienced in narrowing of the throat or vocal cords which may be a factor.