Nurse Tracy
Nurse Tracy, Nurse
Experience:  4 yrs in emergency room, 3 yrs in pediatrics. 3 yrs studying holistic and alternative medicine.
19315399

I am lightheaded, feel weak and my arms are shaky and weak.

Customer Question

I am lightheaded, feel weak and my arms are shaky and weak. I feel like someone has drugged me and I had a baby about 4.5 months ago and still haven't gotten my period. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Tracy replied 5 years ago.
<p>Hi and welcome to Just Answer!</p><p> </p><p>In order to best help you, I have a few questions I need to ask:</p><p> </p><p>1. Are you breastfeeding your baby? If not, when did you stop?</p><p>2. Are you currently taking any prescribed or over the counter medications? If so, for what?</p><p>3. Did your doctor do a blood glucose test? Did you have gestational diabetes with your pregnancy?</p><p>4. Is it possible you are pregnant now? A home pregnancy test may not be accurate due to the recent delivery of your baby, so a blood test would be needed to confirm the amount of Hcg hormones that are in your body.</p><p> </p><p>Thank you and I look forward to helping you, </p><p>Nurse Tracy</p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, not breastfeedging. Stopped at 7 weeks (end of April). I'm currently taking arithromycin from the ER visit and muccinex, ibuprofen and tylenol when I have headaches. the arithro is for sinus infection? they haven't done a glucose test yet. No gestational diabetes. I'm not pregnant they tested for that.

As the day goes on, my arms feel weaker and I feel more out of it but I've felt like this on and off again for almost three days now. And sometimes I feel tightness in my chest.
When did you start the erythromycin?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tuesday morning after the ER visit.
Did your symptoms start after taking your first or second dose of antibiotic? And also have you taken erythromycin in the past - if so how many times?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have no idea if I have taken it in the past to be honest. I had the dizziness and tingling in my arms prior to starting the medicine but it does seem worse than it was before. I am on day three and it probably got worse on day two but honestly, it's hard to say because I feel like I have every symptom under the sun right now.
<p>My initial thought was you were having an allergic reaction to the erythromycin. Allergies do not always present with hives...they can produce the symptoms you explained. It is possible you have a viral infection like the flu....which would cause dizziness, weakness, even chest tightness. However you would also more than likely have a fever and cold symptoms like congestion, cough, etc. Does it feel like a really bad cold? Or something completely different?</p><p> </p><p>Nurse Tracy</p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, I don't feel like I have a bad cold. I feel like I've been drugged and as the day goes on my hands feel odd and more difficult to move. I was swabbed for the flu on monday with a negative result so we already ruled that out. The chest tightness is there but if I were to pick one symptom that is strongest it's the way my arms feel and my head almost if I'm completely out of it...Extremely fatigued too.
<p>I am going to research this for you further....however in the meantime I will opt out in order to allow another expert to possibly help you sooner. Hang in there. </p><p>Currently I am suspecting an auto-immune disorder - but it will take time to research this. if you have any other symptoms no matter how small, please respond. </p><p>Kindly, Nurse Tracy</p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Nancy!
I have another question: have you had any tick bites in the past few months or weeks?
Nurse Tracy
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not that I'm aware of.
Your symptoms COULD be from many different things (including post-partum depression). However if they progress and worsen after you are done taking the erythromycin, you should ask your doctor to be tested for Lyme disease and Multiple Sclerosis. If your symptoms progress rapidly in the next few days, you must return to the emergency room. Without further tests, it is difficult to say what is going on with your body at this point. But they are not in your imagination. If you need to return to the ER or if you go back to your doctor for further tests, ask for a consult with a neurologist. The sensation in your arms and your feelings of lightheadedness (feeling out of it) are connected and appear neurological in nature. There just are too many things that can cause your symptoms, but the Lyme disease and MS are the ones that are most alarming and need to be ruled out.

Nurse Tracy