Salar
Salar, Doctor
Experience:  int.medicine board eligible, research fellowship cardiology.. working at UTMCK
11855647

i have severe abdominal pain (cramp) before a bowel movement.

i have severe abdominal pain (cramp) before a bowel movement. It seems to happen at the same time, maybe 15 minutes before I need to go to the bathroom. Sometimes the pain is so bad I almost double over.
Category: Health
Expert:  Salar replied 7 years ago.
have you seen a doctor for this, any testing, how long do you have it for, do you have diarrhea or constipation, any abdominal bloating, any blood in stools?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no testing, have not seen a doctor yet, scheduling my annual physical next month. no blood. constipation and bloating. on and off over the last year.
Expert:  Salar replied 7 years ago.
well instead of annual physical you need to see a stomach doctor. you need to have your thyroid, h pylori and electrolytes checked. you will need stools studies to rule out infection, CT abdomen to rule out mesenteric ischemia and a colonoscope. At your age it is likely to be IBS -- more so in females but will require all work up. meanwhile stay on high fiber, lactose free diet. daily walk and drink plenty of water.