Dr Bhumika
Dr Bhumika, Doctor
Experience:  6 years of experience as family physician, general practitioner; MD Chest Diseases; Allergy, Asthma
14756658

I am a 50 year male. I work in the southern california desert.

Customer Question

I am a 50 year male. I work in the southern california desert. My job leads me into the hot desert climate on a daily basis. I keep myself very well hydrated during my shift always. Yesterday there was a touch of humidity in the area with the temperature outside of around 105. I was fairly active in the morning hours, mainly working in shaded areas. Last night while attending a meeting, I started having cramps in my abdomen, and got very naucious and was running a low grade fever. During the night I developed a headache, that has been lasting for over 14 hours now, sore throat, stiff neck, light sensativity with my eyes, and a low grade fever. Is it possible that this is heat related, or am I looking at possibly something else. The acetaminophen does not even touch the headache.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Bhumika replied 5 years ago.

Did you notice any rashes or insect bite anywhere on your body?
Do you have any other medical condition?
Are you on any meds?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This was a sudden onset, with light headedness, and nausea. The neck stiffness and headache started about 6 hours after the sudden onset of the nauasea and headache. I am a Animal Control Officer. I have had a significant medical history, with a diagnosis of Pulmonary Fibrosis about ten years ago including exposure to Legonella disease, and that has gone into remission. 6 months ago I had to see the Cardiologist for Atrial Fib. I currently take Digoxin125 bid, Atenonol 25 mg tid , diltiazem 120mg bid and Protonix 40mg bid. I also am under pain management, and I take Percocet 325/5 tid, Flexeril 10 mg tid, Lyrica 100mg bid and Ativan 2mg tid. I also have to use Duragesic pain patches, and currently I wear 75 mic Q24. I function normally without any limitations when doing my job , as well as other daily activities. I see no rashes at this time, however I am starting to get some joint pain, somewhat minor at this time in the shoulder region. Although I do take alot of medications, this has become my daily maintenance dose for numerous years. I have been maily healthy the last ten years and have fought very hard through exercise to get off of 100 % disability, and have become a productive worker back in society.
To me this seems like heat related injury - heat exhaustion. However, I have just one other suspicion - lymes disease. This insect spread does show a typical rash, which is at present, absent in your case.
The symptoms tend to be similar to both conditions. I would reoommend that you be tested for ELISA antibodies to Lyme's disease.

If that comes out to be negative and you do not have any rash, then Heat Exhaustion is a very possible diagnosis.

You can use this resource to read about Lyme's: http://www.acponline.org/clinical_information/resources/lyme_disease/patient/diagnosis.htm

Hope this helped. This conversation is not over unless you are satisfied. Please let me know if I can help you further.
If you are satisfied, please click ACCEPT. Positive feedback and bonuses are always welcome.
Dr Bhumika, Doctor
Experience: 6 years of experience as family physician, general practitioner; MD Chest Diseases; Allergy, Asthma
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is just one other thing regarding symptoms to my issue that I forgot to mention, and that is I have what feels like pressure behind both eyes that is hurting pretty good as well.
Pain behind the eyes may also be related to the extreme heat exhaustion you encountered and is not entirely out of place. Hope this helped.