A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

My doctor has prescribed chlorphenir-p/ephed 8-120mg 2x daily

My doctor has prescribed chlorphenir-p/ephed 8-120mg 2x daily for many years. Today, the Northern Calfiornia Kaiser pharmacy in Lincoln, CA told me they "heard" this drug's manufacturer is going to stop making it. They told m to get equivalent over the counter. If I don't take a total of 240 mg of the pseudoephedrine portion of this Rx daily, I become quit sick to my stomach due to severe sinus drainage. I've trie other things ove the years and this is the only thing that works. The Walgreens pharmacist told me I could buy 30mg in quantities that would require me to go back every 13 days to buy more and not exceed 9 grams / month. My doctor has no problem with me taking the medication. Kaiser is just being lazy and tells me to go over the counte which is ridiculus. They were "out" of 60mg tablets today. Do you have any suggestons on specifically how I could ask my doctor to phrase the Rx so the pharmacists at Kaiser FILL the Rx ? HELP!!! Thank you.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. I'm sorry you've been waiting so long. Other than using the appeal process within Kaiser, there is no way you can "force" them to fill your prescription. The amount that can be purchased at one time is set by Federal statute. Pseudoephedrine comes in brand (Sudafed) and generic 12-hour extended release formulations that contain 120 mg of pseudoephedrine per tablet. They are commonly available in 10 and 20-tablet packages. A one-time purchase limit is 92 tablets of the 120 mg formulation. Four 20-tablet packages plus one 10-tablet packages would be 90 tablets that should hold you for 45 days per purchase and be within the law.

The Methamphetamine Anti-Proliferation Act (MAPA) limits the thresholds of pseudoephedrine drug products to 9 gram single transactions with the package size not to exceed 3 grams.

Nine (9) gram single transactionsThree (3) gram per package
• 120 mg. Pseudoephedrine HCL = 92 tablets• 120 mg. Pseudoephedrine HCL = 31 tablets
• 60 mg. Pseudoephedrine HCL = 184 tablets• 60 mg. Pseudoephedrine HCL = 62 tablets
• 30 mg. Pseudoephedrine HCL = 367 tablets • 30 mg. Pseudoephedrine HCL = 123 tablets

(Title 21 U.S.C. 841 (c)(2))