Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

I have a swelling behind my left ear, where the skull bone

I have a swelling behind my left ear, where the skull bone (cranium?) approximately 3/4 inch directly behind the lobe of my ear.

My wife is nervous, because her dad died of lung cancer and they discovered it as a swollen lymph node...

Is this something I should be worried about? I would guess it is about 1/3rd the size of a golf ball...maybe 1/2 inch across

Any guesses would be appreciated...

Hello

Your swelling may be from Mastoiditis, an infection of the bone behind the ear, or from an enlarged lymph node. Mastoiditis is a bacterial infection of the mastoid air cells (small, air-filled cavities located in the mastoid process, which is the bulge in the skull behind the ear). This is something you will definitely need to see your Dr about.

Lymph nodes play an important part in the body's defense against infection. Swelling might occur even if the infection is trivial or not even apparent.

I would not put heat or cold on the area and try not to push on the area.

If your swelling does not completely resolve or you are not significantly better by tomorrow or you start to develop pain, you will need to be examined by your physician for possible antibiotics and further testing.

Hope this helps!

********************

PLEASE NOTE: The $$$ that you have put down as a deposit will not go to me until you click "ACCEPT" after reading your answer. Otherwise, it will be held by JustAnswer.com and I will not receive credit for my time and efforts.

Please ask for clarification if needed.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

So, you find it unlikely this would have anything to do with cancer?

Also, I have a very rare skin disease called TMEP...as you would guess the M stands for Mastosis.

But the lump is right below the bone bulge, not directly over it...

Can you clarify the above?

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I will leave you alone...(because my wife says it is time for bed!!!)

Thanks for the reply back

Saying whether or not the lump or bump (or swelling) has anything to do with cancer is very very difficult to say...would say impossible to do over the net. I wish we had the ability to diagnose and even see our clients we talk to on here but it is just not possible in this stage of technology.

Telangiectasia macularis eruptiva perstans has not been associated with the development of malignant conditions. (when you have time, you can read more about that here.)

The area is still pretty consistant with Mastoiditis or even just a swollen lymph node from a nearby infection that you might not even realize you have.