Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.
659881

I just went to the bathroom and my stool was black. What does

I just went to the bathroom and my stool was black. What does this mean??
Category: Health
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

Black stool can occur when people take bismuth products like Peptobismol, iron supplements and charcoal products. This is entirely harmless.

However it can also be a black or tarry stool when there is bleeding in the intestine or stomach such as with an ulcer and so new-onset black stool (especially if loose) is a reason to see a doctor as soon as possible. Any stomach pain then go straight to ER.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I took some pepto bismol yesterday. I did not use the cap I just drank it from the bottle. I did that two times. I dont really feel any pain in my stomach. For the past few days I have been getting dizzy spells. I also notice that whenever I try to sleep at night I get a lot of burning in my chest area and wake up with cold sweats and heat sensation in my face as well. During the day I dont feel anything just the dizziness from time to time. When I first laid down tonight I felt fine and then after about 15 minutes and I was just about to go to sleep I started feeling that burning sensation from the stomach chest and sensations into my face as well.
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

Although the black stool is most likely due to the peptobismol, I would recommend that you see a doctor to investigate the burning sensation in the chest. It may be that you would benefit from a medication to reduce stomach acid such as omeprazole however you may need an upper GI endoscopy at some point to check for ulcers or gastric irritation.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have been diagnosed with anxiety and have had lots of panic attacks in the past. Can any of these symptoms be Adrenal Fatigue?
Expert:  Pauline replied 5 years ago.

Adrenal fatigue is not a diagnosis that we commonly use in medicine. If your adrenal glands were not functioning then you would have a wide number of symptoms and blood tests would be able to clarify this.

Anxiety and panic attacks are very common and usually represent a mental health issue rather than a physical abnormality. Your doctor can request test for catecholamines if you wish to investigate this as a possible cause.

Pauline, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Medical Doctor & Registered Pharmacist. Worked as Community pharmacist for 17 years.