Dr.Tiwari
Dr.Tiwari, Doctor.
Experience:  M.D.

I had surgery on my Achilles on June 7th. I have been out of

I had surgery on my Achilles on June 7th. I have been out of the cast for a week and half. I am in a walking boot (air cast). My Achilles feels fine now but the top of my foot hurts and I can't walk on it. Went to the doctor and he put me on a steroid. That was 3 days ago and the pain is still the same. He also did an xray and didn't see a break or fracture. Any suggestions? I also get a tingling feeling when I take a deep breath in and then let it out (my foot tingles when I breathe out). What's that about?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 4 years ago.
   Will you please answer me some questions-
1.What was the reason to have surgery on tendo achillis?
2.Is there any history of trauma?
3.Since when you are having pain in foot?
4.Is there any swelling on foot?
5.Is there any back pain?
6.Which type of anesthesia was given to you?
Please reply.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had a partial tear on the Achillis. I was put in a boot on March 15th. We also did physical therapy and nothing relieved the pain.
2.Is there any history of trauma?
I stepped backwards off of a curb and felt a pull. I was also prescribed Leviquin 6 months before (I don't know if that matters). There has not been any trauma since the initial Achilles pull.
This foot pain I have only had since the cast came off and I was allowed to put weight on the foot.
4.Is there any swelling on foot?
Yes. Just on the right side of the foot. Even with the 3rd and 4th toes about half way up my foot.
5.Is there any back pain?
No
I had a general anesthesia (don't know the name) and also had a "pain blocker" type that numbed everything from the knee down. It blocked the nerves.
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 4 years ago.
The presence of foot swelling after removal of cast is normal which will go away with good physiotherapy in next two to three weeks.But the pain you are feeling is of comcern.The pain you are feeling is of neurological in nature.This may be there due to following -
1.Compression of the nerve passing from outer aspect of the ankle to the foot supplying the toes which you have described as affected.This may be due to either compression from the cast or over stretching of it during the movement.
2.Tingling sensation on deep breath may be due to mild compression from a disc in your back which may be there due to continuous abnormal posture during walking on boot.
By looking at your symptoms i think you should do nothing except avoiding any abnormal posture or avoiding any continuous strain on your back.Also check for any compression point on the outer point of the ankle.You may have some analgesic like tramadol to help with the pain.

Hope this will be helpful.
Dr.Tiwari, Doctor.
Experience: M.D.