Doctor Mark
Doctor Mark, Doctor
Experience:  board certified in Internal Medicine. Over 30 years of geriatric and primary care experience

Im a 44 yr old female, taking Metroprolol for tachycardia

I'm a 44 yr old female, taking Metroprolol for tachycardia for 6 years. Reynauds Syndrome began occuring which my Dr. attributed to the meds. I went to a Rheumatologist because of achiness and just learned that I have Positive ANA, anti cardiolipin level of 38 ( I understand 1-11 is normal), red blood cells in my urine, my Ferritin level is only 7 ng/mL and low white blood cells. My Dr. is out of town for 2 weeks so I'm searching on my own to understand the possibilities. I am not losing hair, ulcers or experiencing any rash. I'm especially curious as to what types of tests or questions I should ask next.
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor Mark replied 7 years ago.
You may well have lupus. Your symptoms all fit. You need to ask about your kidney function. Also the metoprolol will worsen the raynauds. You need a workup for the anemia and low WBCs.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THank you for your quick reply.
Lastly can you please explain "a workup for anemia" What would that be? and ideas besides supplements for extremely low iron.
Thanks so much,
The workup is mostly blood tests. You need a ferritin level and transferrin level. Don't take iron pills until the workup is done. A low iron does not always mean iron deficiency. You could have iron overload and iron is contraindicated.