A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

My friend is an alcoholic. She has been prescribed Librium

My friend is an alcoholic. She has been prescribed Librium and is acting exactly the same as when she was drinking (8:00am-8:pm). Does Librium cause you to fall down, not remember conversations, not be able to walk (or if so unsteadily), sleep all day, slur words, not make any sense? She says she is only taking one of three pills prescribed each day. I had to take her to the doctor yesterday and he upped the dosage. I am worried that if the Librium is making her this loopy with only one dose per day then she may be even worse with the increased dosage.   I guess I really believe that she is drunk and not admitting to drinking. With all the research I have done on Librium I can't find anyone who acts "falling down drunk". I really need to have all info to help my friend. I appreciate your feedback.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. One Librium per day should not make anyone fall down, slur words, or otherwise appear drunk. Librium and other drugs of that class do have a synergistic effect when taken with alcohol. Librium increases the effects of the alcohol, so that - for instance - someone can take Librium and one alcoholic drink and seem as though they've had several drinks. It would also have that effect on an alcoholic - increasing the effects of the alcohol. I wonder if your friend is still drinking along with her medication. Her doctor may want to run a drug test to see what shows up in her urine. It takes 24 hours for alcohol to not show up, and the Librium should be detectable for up to 10 days. There is also the possibility that she is taking other prescribed medications that you don't know about.