Ask Koleen Roeder A.A.A. R.N. retired You...

Koleen Roeder A.A.A. R.N. retired
Koleen Roeder A.A.A. R.N. retired, Nurse
Experience:  I have been in nursing since 1983, I have worked all fields of practice, including home health.

2 1/2 year old feels hot but temp only 37. mouths hurts but

Customer Question

2 1/2 year old feels hot but temp only 37. mouths hurts but been told its not tonsilitus, white spot on his gums, pain in backs oh his leg, very tired and loss of appetite. been on and off like this 4 ove 2 weeks
Category: Health
Expert:  Lisa, MSN, FNP-BC, CCRN replied 4 years ago.
Hello;

Thank you for writing in tonight. I want to provide you with the best possible information, so I do have a few questions. I hope you understand.

Any other medical conditions?
Any other symptoms?
Any known exposure to ill persons? If so, who, when, and what illness?Anyone else sick now?
Is he still urinating?
When was the last time he was at the doctor?
Was a throat swab done? If so, and if it was negative, was the culture sent out to a lab?
Was any other testing done at the appointment?
Tell me more about the fever. I want to know fever highs and lows. Also, want to know when the fever was the highest and lowest?

Please let me know.

Ms. Lisa
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
<p>hi</p><p> </p><p>he doesnt have any pther medical conditions. had op on hernia in january but thats it. no other symptoms apart from sometimes saying he has a headache. his still urinating and drinking alot. last time he went to the doctors was about his hernia. he hasnt had a throat swab done. doctor looked in his throat, ears and listened to his chest. he is normally fine in the morning and it gets to late after and starts looking really drowsy and feels hot to touch, thats when he says he has a sore throat, headache, pains in his legs etc. he can be fine for a couple of days then come down with it for a few, then fine again.</p>
Expert:  Koleen Roeder A.A.A. R.N. retired replied 4 years ago.
Hi Nicola, babies do not usually complain unless something is really wrong. Has he had hib vaccine?
You should take a rectal temp to be sure. This gives a core reading. I would take the child to the ER. Bacterial or virial infection that get in the blood can cross the blood brain barrier and cause menigitis, encephalitis these cause headaches and drowsy children. Serious illness. Has to be treated or you could lose your child. Go to ER
thank you for your question