Mel.
Mel., Nurse
Experience:  Qualified in 1977,have extensive coronary care & general experience,plus stress related conditions.
11403612

has redness around hair roots more present when is hot out

Customer Question

Category: Health
Expert:  Mel. replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Welcome to Just Answer.

I am presuming we are talking about head hair here?

Scalp folliculitis is an inflammatory disorder of the hair follicles in the scalp.

It is characterised by rednness around the root and sometimes small, very itchy pustules within the scalp, often most troublesome on the frontal hairline. There may be only a small number of lesions or they may be very numerous. They are hard to leave alone because of the itch. They often become sore and crusted.

The cause of scalp folliculitis is not well understood. It is generally considered to be an inflammatory reaction to components of the hair follicle, particularly the micro-organisms.

The scalp should be washed with a mild normal shampoo as often as desired. Antidandruff shampoos containing antifungal agents such as ketoconazole or ciclopirox are sometimes helpful. Conditioner can be used if wanted.

The following medications may be helpful:

Topical antibiotics e.g. fusidic acid gel, clindamycin solution, erythromycin solution .

Mild topical steroid lotions or creams

Oral antihistamines

Oral antibiotics, particularly long term tetracycline

Oral isotretinoin;long term low dose treatment may be required

The only other thing it could be is reaction to something such as shampoo, conditioner, hair spray,hair colour If any of these have been changed or just commenced, stop using it and see if the condition disappears. If not it really needs to be seen by a dermatologist who will give a definite diagnosis and appropriate treatment.

I do hope you get it sorted out soon it must be so very uncomfortable!

I hope this helps you.

With my very best wishes

Mel.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

its on both my inner thighs and below my belly button it is itchy do u think its the same thing

Expert:  Mel. replied 7 years ago.

Hello again,

Yes, actually it is more common on the body than the scalp. I do apopogize I thought we were talking about head hair.

If the redness is definitely around hair roots then this is definitely what it is. Don't worry though it is very easily remedied.

Since it is on your body, your own doctor will probably deal with it. i only mentioned a dermatologist because scalp folliculitis isn't that common.

Until you are ale to see your doctor, calamine cream might help with the itching.

Hope you are better soon.

Love mel.