How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Susan Ivy Your Own Question
Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 4058
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
Type Your Health Question Here...
Susan Ivy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my dads hand has gone slightly black what does this mean. he

Resolved Question:

my dads hand has gone slightly black what does this mean. he is 75 years of age.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 7 years ago.



Thank you for using JustAnswer Health for your question.


Are you able to take a picture and send it in quickly?


If not, please reply with how long it has been black.

Does he have something obviously cutting the circulation off?

Does it hurt?

Does he have a pulse in the wrist (can be felt on the side below the thumb on the wrist area).

Does he appear to have circulation in his fingernails? For example are they pink? If you slightly press the tip of the nail does it become white and quickly red again when released?


I'll look for your reply.




Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i went blacl about 2 days it does not not hurt.he has a pulse.its gone black by his kuckle second finger .from the little gos white then back to red.quickly.
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 7 years ago.

It is possible that it doesn't hurt because it is numnb.


It is important that he be evaluated. Unless this is topical (something black has gotten on his skin) this means his circulation is obstructed to part of the tissue. It may be that he has small clots that have cut off the circulation. Especially if this continues he could lose the tissue, or it may be that clots could occur elsewhere even causing a stroke.


I'm not sure what they are called in the UK but you do need to take him to an urgent care clinic or an evaluation. This could be a very serious sign.


Feel free to respond.



Susan Ivy and other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 7 years ago.
Excuse me, I meant to say an urgent care clinic or an emergency room. You may write back with the results - no fee for this of course.