Karen RN, BSN
Karen RN, BSN, Nurse
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in Med Surg nursing, Oncology, Neurology, Home health and Hospice

On monday I woke up with lower back pain took some motrin

I am a 44 yr old very active female. I teach Kickboxing and am very fit/healthy. On monday I woke up with lower back pain took some motrin. On tuesday I got up and my entire left leg started cramping and having shooting pains. To the point I cried. I laid down took Motrin and iced my lower back. It got better. Wednesday I saw Doctor. She gave me Flexeril, Ibuprofen 800 mg and Vicoden 500/ she said take for 2 weeks and it should get better.

Today I have some numbness on my left leg and two toes/ some tingly like when leg falls asleep. Lower back some pain.   I am scared, this is not anything I have experienced before.
Category: Health
Expert:  Karen RN, BSN replied 7 years ago.

Hi, Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

It sounds like you obviously have twisted at the wrong time. Your MD was very appropriate in ordering as they did.

It sounds now like there is a disc pintching a nerve in your back.. You need to contact your MD regarding the new symptoms (by phone should be OK; since they recently examined you ).

This is something that should be evaluated with X-rays and possibly a MRI. With this being the first time you have experienced these symptoms you probably can be helped with physical therapy. For now follow the MD orders, do not do any lifting or twisting.

Some time the anti inflamitory is more effective than the Vicodan as the Vicodan does not act directly on the area of pain but instead the inability to acknowledge the pain. Frequently ice packs for 20 minutes followed by hot packs for 20 minutes, several times a day can be very helpful. The ice numbs the pain and the heat relaxed the muscle.

Hope you get better soon.

If I have been helpful to you please acknowledge this by hitting the ACCEPT button.

I would like some feedback as to how you do and whether I have helped you. Karen