Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management

I have had upper left quadrant pain for 3 days. I have been

I have had upper left quadrant pain for 3 days. I have been vomiting since yesterday and on a scale from 1-10 the pain is a 7. It is definatel kidney pain. Now this morning (its the 3rd day with pain) my other kidney area started to hurt. But that pain is only dull and achy like a 3. I feel like I'm burning up but have no fever and no UTI symptoms, no urgency or frequency. I took a home UTI test and it was positive for WBC but negative for Nitrates.

My mom's friend is a Dr and he called in a script for cipro. My question is i would like to know the possible causes for the pain and vomiting. I would just assume kidney infection but I've never had a kidney infection with no UTI symptoms and no fever before. And the at home test was negative for a UTI. Is is still possible? Woud Cipro help this?

I am terrified of Dr's and hospitals. I get severe panic attacks just going to any ER even if its not for me. So I am trying to get some sound advice. Thanks.

I would like a DR to answer my ?

Just to clarify: is your pain upper left quadrant of your abdomen?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
right under my left rib cage and in the back. Yes so its the upper left quandrant of my abdomen. My mom said its the kidney area but uti tests are negative and no fever. Just pain and vomiting.

These are symptoms of acute pancreatitis, especially with your nausea and vomiting.

You need to be seen by a doctor as soon as possible. It is possible for this to clear up on it's own, but it can also become life-threatening.

Here is a link with more information about Pancreatitis.

I'm sorry you have a phobia about doctors and hospitals, but your condition may need urgent treatment. Usually people with pancreatitis require hospitalization to resolve the infection, then testing to determine what the cause is.

Pain from your kidney area would be "flank pain" , which is your mid back coming around to your side.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you... just one quick question. If this is pancreatitis would the cipro my moms dr friend ordered me take care of it? Or do i need to go to the ER? or just go see a regular dr?

If the this is caused by infection, the cipro might take care of it. And some cases will clear on their own. But, if it is pancreatitis it can tend to become recurrent. You need to find out what the underlying cause is and get that treated. Some causes are due to mechanical problems and not infection (like gallstones as an example).

You should see a regular doctor right away, or if you can't get it, go to an urgent care. Blood tests can confirm if this is pancreatitis, and they can go from there. If you have a panic attack, that can be treated also. But depending on the cause, this could be very detrimental to your health if you don't have it taken care of.

Personally, I don't think it is worth the risk to "wait and see".