Susan RN
Susan RN, Nurse
Experience:  RN DNP, nurse educator since 1996,hospital RN 10 yrs,Advd practice, OB/Peds,Pharm, medical
19689124

head injury..skull..cross between tingling sensations in my head

Customer Question

i had a head injury in august 2008 , since i have had absence seizures and lost my driving privilages and have been out of work since , to this day i have a lump on the top left/toward middle of my skull. i keep experienceing dizziness and when dizziness comes it almost feels like a cross between tingling sensations in my head or an electicail shock. then i get dizzy like im gonna pass out a i fall asleep for several hours. when going to the neurologist i ask questions and they just brush me off because it a workers comp case. i just recently saw him complaining again that the lump is this there and the dizziness is getting worse and he just gave me a work paper to be off until nov 2009 when i am re-evaluated by him in nov. why and i not getting any answers mean while i have work comp breaaathing down my neck and now the case is going to court. i just want my life back and i want to be able to go to work and drive again.. can you please help me? give me some answers...
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan RN replied 5 years ago.
Workman's comp. cases can be frustrating. I don't know if you have a case worker for your case or not. My suggestion would be to ask your employer or your case worker if there is another doctor you can see because your symptoms are getting worse and you feel that the doctor is not helping you. There may be another doctor they could refer you to. If the problems continue to increase, contact your employer to find out what your options are.

I hope this information is helpful. I wish I had more information for you. You may find that your employer is eager to have you get better and come back to work as well.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

they did send me somewhere else and that is when i had theneuro spych testing and they told me to do like crossword puzzles and stuff to exercise my brain. my grams RN got me involved in making candles with her supervision cause she thought that would be good theraphy. i only make 3 or 4 a week sometimes less depending on if i am having a good day or not. work comp found out told that doctor and he said i was able to work. then work wanted me to have him fill papers out on what i can and cannot do and his nurse said he can not fill them out because he is not am MD. this is how it got going into court i still am not back to work yet.

Expert:  Susan RN replied 5 years ago.
What type of work do you do?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i work in a home improvement store , running power equipment selling and cutting blinds and mixing paint. the doctor didn't even want me running a cash register because of my memory. since the accident i am very forgetful too. they said if they have me go back the only thing i may do is answer the phone sitting down working only a four hour shift every other day. before that i was working in a conveince store as management. i am also right am in classes on line to become a medical assistant. the first term i made it on to the deans list and now i have failed a & P 1 twice. i feel i am learning nothing. i took terminology class got a "B" in the class now i cannot remember what i have learned. my grams nurse "RN" says she can tell when im having a bad day and not feel well... i even stuble and fall, it looks like i am drunk.
Expert:  Susan RN replied 5 years ago.
I wonder how much of your forgetfulness and stumbling is related to your head injury and how much might be related to your medicines? Did you take ANP1 before or after your injury? Just wondering.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i have taken a & p1 since becasue i hit my head on August 17, 2008 and my classes started on Sept 17, 2009. but how i am feeling now is how i was feeling right after the accident before i was put on the med's. its only gotten worse.i norally am a easy going good hearted person who puts everyone else first but since the accident i having been having anger fits to which if i have something in my hands when it happens it goes sailing across the room evenin public. my boyfriend tells me that i am not the same person that he thinks it made me go nuts. " but he doesn't mean it in a bad way thats only his way of explaining it. this part of it is what the ativan is for...

Expert:  Susan RN replied 5 years ago.
YOur mood swings and anger outbursts are seen after some types of head injuries. With many seizure disorders and meds to treat them, it is not unusual to lose driving privledges for a while until your condition is more stable. I has only been a year since your accident. Something that may help is to give yourself some more time and start with something that does not require a lot of memory work, then each semester gradually increase the amount of memory type work you need to do. It will take a little bit of time for your life to get closer to normal for you. It sounds like you are motivated to get better so you can continue to live your life.

Do you remember much about your accident which resulted in your head injury? Just wondering.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
bit what about the lump on the head? why is it still there? why doesn't the doctors seem to be alarmed. how long will it take it has already been a year. how much longer do i have to put my life on hold. how much longer do i have to live with the dizziness, stumbling and falling, anger issues, and the forgetfulness? why i am not getting any answers from my doctors? i am frustrated because i want someone to be able to give me answers.
Expert:  Susan RN replied 5 years ago.
The lump on your head - did you have only damage to tissues outside the skull or to the skull bone itself? Depending the amount and severity of damage and where the damage was located could explain why the lump is still there. Is the lump soft or hard?

The doctors may not have answers because they are trying to let nature help heal your injury and then see what else needs to be treated.

Since I don't know what type of injury you had or the severity of it, I don't know how long it will take for the dizziness, falls, etc. to get better.

I had a nursing student who hit her head on the dashboard in a car accident. A few years after the injury itself had healed on the outside, she still had days when she did not feel good, had headaches, forget things, and have mood swings. She said she learned to take each day as it came and was glad that she was alive since she could have stayed in a coma and died.

I know it is hard to be patient when you are young and have so many things you want to do.

Something you could do that would help your memory would be to play the memory game where you have to remember where the matching tile is located. YOu can also make a list of things you need from the store or things you are going to pick up in the house, use the list for a few weeks, then start to rely less on the list and see if you are able to remember more items. That would show up if your memory is getting better or not.

The doctors have probably treated many head injury patients and know what to expect from recovery. It is hard for you to know that because this is the first time you have had this type of injury.

Are there other people who have had a similiar head injury that you could talk with and find out what they had dealt with and techniques they used to overcome their issues. That would also give you more support as you heal and help you socialize with others which would be fun.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I remember that when I hit my head it hurt so bad that it literally sent me to the floor. I have never experienced pain like that before. I continued to work my shift out and about an hour later I started to notice that I was having speech problems and stuttering a lot. After finishing my shift that day I went home and sat down and I must have passed out for four hours and then I woke up I was very confused and could not make sense of anything. My A & P professor said that it sounded like I was hit in the area of either the primary motor area, central sulcus, or primary somatic sensory area. I explained to with where bouts it hit and it's more to the left side in towards the front. I can say that when the lump is touched I get dizzy like I'm going to pass out.

I have been trying to play games on-line like on pogo.com, but I find that when I do memory games or something my brain hurts literally. It feels like I went to the gym and over did it extremely. I don't remember if I also said about my migraines to... and I have tried to make lists and I put them on the fridge and forget them. For instance, I made a list of duties for myself to do as far as house work because my house is a mess since the accident. I stick the list on my fridge so I would see it and I would forget it is there..even knowing I look right at it to open my fridge door..

Expert:  Susan RN replied 5 years ago.
With symptoms like those, how are you able to make the candles?

Life is very difficult for you it sounds. Do you have someone to help you?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
my boyfriend comes every evening and cooks supper for me and my grandmother. Also my mom is availible during the day time if i need her, plus hospice is in my house on a daily visit to bath my gram and help take care of her meds. other than that it is me, my gram, and our six cats and that's it. plus my next door neihbors are availible if i need them . they know my sitautation. they even mow my lawn andin the winter time they plow my driveway. as far as making candles if i have a good day then i wil sit at my table and use a presto pot to melt the wax by putting it on warm. when its melted then i just dump the scent and color in, one thing i don't do is measure anything, i just pour it in. then you let it sit little it completely cools and like i said before i do it under supervison. i have received a letter that my doctor doesn't believe that i will have a full recovery. i still just don't understand my no one is corcorned about the lump. you would think after a year it would go away. but it never did.
Expert:  Susan RN replied 5 years ago.
The lump - if it is on top of the skull, it could be part of the healing process and have some scar tissue in it which would affect the size of it and why it has not gone down. Since we don't have a way to look under the lump to see what else is there, it is difficult to say why it has not gone down more at this point. The pain you feel is the nerve endings that are in that area that are probably more sensitive since your injury. I don't know if those will become less sensitive or not. If you doctor does not think you will have a full recovery, he is probably hoping for the best for you but does not want to get your hopes up that you will back to your pre-injury condition. Time does help heal with these type of injuries though. I know it is hard, but try to give time to help heal your injury and keep doing what you can to keep your mind sharp. It sounds like you have a very good support system which is awesome! You might see what other types of crafts you can do in addition to the candle making. That would give you some variety.

I hope this information has helped to answer your questions. Please let me know if I can help again. If my answers are ok, please click the Accept button. If you are very happy with my answers, a bonus is welcomed. Thank you for allowing me to help you.