Susan RN
Susan RN, Nurse
Experience:  RN DNP, nurse educator since 1996,hospital RN 10 yrs,Advd practice, OB/Peds,Pharm, medical

I have a dry tickly cough that started 2 days ago. It started

I have a dry tickly cough that started 2 days ago. It started as a clearing of the throat thing day 1, then turned into a tickly cough, with some phlem. My lungs feel a little heavy, nothing terrible. My tempurature is 99.8, and I do not have any joint aches. My head/nose are not clogged like when you have a cold, no running nose, except when I get a severe coughing fit (about every 30 minutes). I have not seen the lung phlem as it's swallowed. I took Nyquil cold and flu last night, not much help. Today I tried Mucinex DM, maybe helped a little. I think it gave me a little diarrea. Any suggestions? Thanks so much
The tickly cough sounds like it could be from a sinus drainage or secretions that are running down the back of your throat just enough to irritate it so you cough. It could also be caused by something in the air called an allergen which is irritating the lining of your throat as well. YOu might try taking some cough syrup like Tussin that has dextromethoraphen or a cough syrup that has dextra methoraphen and guaifisen in it to help loosen secretions and quiet the cough. During the day you can suck on hard candy or throat lozenges to help keep your throat moist. If you begin to have a headache, feel pressure on your face, bring up colored phelgm when you cough, or run a fever, then you should see your doctor to see if you have an upper respiratory infection that might need additional treatment.

I hope my answers are helpful in answering your question. Thank you for allowing me to help. If you are ok with my answer, please click the Accept button. please let me know if I can help you again. Thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Having already taken Mucinex DM (12 hour dose) at 10 am today, can I take additional liquid dextromethrorphan now or even a sudaphed in case of nasal drip? It is 3:30 pm now my time. Thanks
Yes, you could take the liquid dextromethorphen now, but would wait on the sudafed since the D in Mucinex DM stands for decongestant which is what sudafed it. If you find that your nose if runny, and you want to dry it up, you could take something benadryl, claritin, zyrtec to dry up things. The Benadryl usually makes people sleepy. If you wait until 10 pm, you could take the sudafed then.