Susan RN
Susan RN, Nurse
Experience:  RN DNP, nurse educator since 1996,hospital RN 10 yrs,Advd practice, OB/Peds,Pharm, medical
19689124

I am 23 weeks pregnant and have a CONSTANT need to go to the

I am 23 weeks pregnant and have a CONSTANT need to go to the loo - have had sample checked and no infection. It is causing me a lot of distress and I am feel like I can't leave the house. I don't even get any relief from this and I feel anxious and depressed. My doctor says there is nothing he can do. My main fear is that this feeling won't ever go away even when baby born - irrational I'm sure but is this type of problem common and easily dealt with after pregnancy if it persists? Please help - feeling very worried.
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan RN replied 5 years ago.
Havin to pee alot during pregnancy is normal due to the pressure and weight of the baby on the bladder. Since you have been tested for a urinary tract infection and it was negative, we know that is not what it is. Have you had your blood sugar checked yet?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes and it is fine.
Expert:  Susan RN replied 5 years ago.
The reason I asked about the blood sugar is because diabetics pee a lot. Since it is fine, I think that the having to pee a lot is due to the pregnancy and once you deliver, your bathroom pattern for urinating would go back to pre-pregnancy. I know that that is probably not what you wanted to hear but you will find that before you know it, you will be at your due date delivering that beautiful baby and your world will seem more complete. If you begin to have a burning sensation when you pee or your urine becomes strong in odor, then contact your doctor office to have your urine checked for a urinary tract infection.

I have 4 children and worked as an OB nurse for a while. With each pregnancy, I would feel like I had to pee due to the weight of the baby on my bladder, then once I delivered I felt a relief from that feeling.

I hope this information has been helpful to you. Thank you for allowing me to help answer your questions. If this answer is OK with you, please click the ACCEPT button. If you feel that my help was very helpful, a bonus is welcomed. Please let me know if I can help you again.

2 websites you may find helpful are www.webmd.com and www.pregnancy.org.

I wish you the best.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you - I feel when I go to the toilet I can't fully empty my bladder so even one second after going I still feel like i have a full bladder. Can the pressure of the baby be causing this? My baby is kicking very low so I presume it is lying in that area. And just to further reassure me - if on the slight chance this did continue - are there treatments out there that help bladder problems.
Expert:  Susan RN replied 5 years ago.
The sensation you are describing sounds like it is the baby on your bladder. If you feel like you can't fully empty, try leaning back or leaning slightly forward while sitting on the toilet to see if that helps. AFter delivery if the constant need to pee is there, there are some exercises that you can do(Kegel's) that will help. There are also medicines too. We can cross that bridge when we get there. It will be okay.
Susan RN, Nurse
Experience: RN DNP, nurse educator since 1996,hospital RN 10 yrs,Advd practice, OB/Peds,Pharm, medical