Nurse Annie
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant

taking Depo-Provera shots for over two years..bleeding..I see an ObGyn

I have been taking Depo-Provera shots for over two years. In the last 6 months or so, I have been bleeding lightly but continuously. Should I see the nurse at the Planned Parenthood clinic where I receive the shots, or should I see an ObGyn?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Annie replied 7 years ago.

Bleeding irregularies are quite common while on depo provera, however bleeding for this long is not normal and needs to be seen by a doctor. If the bleeding is heavy and you are changing a pad or tampon in an hour or less, this requires an ER visit as this is considered excessive and can lead to anemia. If you feel tiredness and/or lightheadedness this can also mean that you are anemic and warrants an ER visit. It's very possible that this is due to a hormonal imbalance, so your levels will need to be checked via a blood test, and something given to stop the bleeding. If the bleeding isn't heavy and you have no other symptoms, then I would go to the Planned Parenthood.