Susan RN
Susan RN, Nurse
Experience:  RN DNP, nurse educator since 1996,hospital RN 10 yrs,Advd practice, OB/Peds,Pharm, medical

what is the reason for craving salt

Customer Question

what is the reason for craving salt?
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan RN replied 7 years ago.
Some reasons people crave salt include your body having a low sodium level so your body is trying to help take care of itself. Some people feel like they are craving salt because their taste buds get used to eating and drinking foods that are salty so when they don't get that same taste we think we need more salt. Are you taking any medicines or have any medical problems?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Expert:  Susan RN replied 7 years ago.
Do you usually salt your food before you eat it? Have you been sweating more?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I do salt alittle bit, as for swetting not really last time I had this I was pregnant but I had my tubes tide so that is out.
Expert:  Susan RN replied 7 years ago.
When you had your tubes tied, did the doctor use the bands or did they fold them over, stitch them, cut them and burn the ends?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I had them tied in 1999 not sure which one they did to be honest
Expert:  Susan RN replied 7 years ago.
Just wondering. I have known one friend who her tubes tied with the bands and after a while, she came up pregnant and was shocked to death. Evidently one of the bands came off or loose enough to let the tube open and she had a baby that was fine.

Have you had any weakness or tiredness, unexplained weight loss, skin seem darker, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Nope I am overweight and have problems breathing at times.
Expert:  Susan RN replied 7 years ago.
It could be that your sodium level is low and your body just needs more salt which would explain the salt craving. I would suggest instead of eating extra salty food like snacks, add just a little more salt to your food.

If you continue to crave salt, since you said when you were pregnant you craved salt like this, you could do a home pregnancy test especially if your period is late unless you don't have periods any more just to reassure yourself.

I don't know if you have high blood pressure or not, but if the salt craving continues even after you had eaten something salty or added salt to your meals, you could have the doctor check your sodium level the next time blood work is done.

I am sorry I could not come up with an exact reason for your salt craving. I hope the information I have given you is helpful. If so, then please click the Accept button. Thank you for allowing me to try to answer your question. Please let me know if you need anything else.