Nurse Annie
Nurse Annie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  PHD RN 40+ years in nursing all depts & units 20+ years as a midwife, certified lactation consultant
467755

I have medium brown vaginal discharge, it has no strong odour,

I have medium brown vaginal discharge, it has no strong odour, I have no other pain - it looks like the last couple of days of a period - no blood - I have recently has a sexual health test and have no STD's or HIV - this is worrying me as this is the third time it has happened a week after I have had sexual intercourse with my partner. Could I be allergic to condoms ?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Annie replied 7 years ago.
Customer

If there is no odor, then this is just normal vaginal mucus. Brown means that it is old blood, and this is normal to experience at any point of your menstrual cycle. If however you notice that a foul odor develops, this indicates infection and you whould need to see your doctor for a swab test.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi Nurse Annie

Thanks but this has only started to happen in the past 12 months and I have never had this before. Could it be symptom for something else ?

I am just worried as it is rather embarassing and I have looked on the internet and it says that it is an early warning sign for cancer

Thanks

Customer

No- this would not be due to anything else and it is quite normal to periodically have brown discharge. Besides an odor developing, if it does last for 10 or more days straight, then this would also need to be seen by a doctor. Otherwise it is a completely normal occurrence.