Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.

stress and now Im underweight how can I gain my weight back fast

I lost 12 punds in a month due to stress and now I'm underweight how can I gain my weight back fast. I'm 5 '1 and weight 97 lbs right now.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 7 years ago.
Whats your age and medical history?
Do you have any anxiety, tremors, palpitations, headaches etc?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm 21 years old and my medical history is good. Maybe I lost so much weight b/c I'm going through a divorce and have a baby of 9 months. And I do have headaches and at the back of my neck I have little bumps like little balls that hurt.
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 7 years ago.
Okay. If the cause for weight loss is stress or depression, then you will likely gain the lost weight in few weeks once the stress is controlled. However if the loss of weight was associated with increased appetite or there were other symptoms like palpitations, diarrhea etc, then thyroid disorder should be ruled out with a blood test. You should also see a psychiatrist to discuss stress management. You may benefit from Cognitive behavioral therapy for this.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is there some supplement I can take to gain the weight back or vitamins?
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 7 years ago.
Yes, you can take a multivitamin supplement like Centrum to treat any vitamin or mineral deficiency. There are certain prescription medications or appetite stimulants, which can be prescribed by your doctor. However these are only considered in severe cases when the person has very low appetite.