Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
10798432

Dear Sir / Madam Greetings.. My name is nail Mahmood and I live

Dear Sir / Madam

Greetings..

My name isXXXXX and I live in Qatar. I have a younger brother Sami and we are from Aden, Yemen. He is 30 years old, married. He lives in UK right now.
He has studied in India and then left t london to work but no luck so far. We have been trying to figure out what is the matter with him and how we can seak treatment. I hope you can help us in finding out and hopefully offer some treatment. In brief, I believe that Sami has suffered from depression at some point, which has developed to paranoia
Below are some of the symptoms, and again this when he chew ghat or the day after.:

1) Talks about what happened to him in the past in a very vague way, or recall subject that happened in the past all of a sudden.
2) Inconsistent in his talk, can jump from one topic to another
3) Keep in accusing his Friends and family of conspiring against him
4) Verbal abuse to his loved ones and can forget about it 5 minutes latter.
5) Always questions his wife abo
Submitted: 5 years ago via HealthBoards.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
Your question appears incomplete (point 5). Please provide us with as many details as possible.
Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Dear Sir / Madam Greetings..

My name isXXXXX and I live in Qatar. I have a younger brother Sami and we are from Aden, Yemen. He is 30 years old, married. He lives in UK right now. He has studied in India and then left t london to work but no luck so far. We have been trying to figure out what is the matter with him and how we can seak treatment. I hope you can help us in finding out and hopefully offer some treatment. In brief, I believe that Sami has suffered from depression at some point, which has developed to paranoia Below are some of the symptoms, and again this when he chew ghat or the day after.:

5) Always questions his wife about anything even if it is small that has happened during the day

6) Does not take any advise

7) Thinks that he knows it all, and always brings it again and again in one form or another

8) Eats Ghat often and it happens during ghat session or afterward.

09) He suspect that people or some one is spying on him by phone, laptop etc, and record him in a mobile or camera.

10) Arm & body shack occasionally.

11) If he remembers anything in past or a look back on any memory comes up, he calls always and talks about it without any reason.

12) he calls my mom like 3 - 4 times a day which is a new thing.

Now, that does not happen all the time but when he has had Qhat or in a worrying state. He has seeing a doctor in the UK but did not stick to the medication I would like to know if you treat this kind of patients or if you know any hospital that does.

Thanks

Nabil(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />

Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
Your brother is showing signs of schizophrenia, specifically paranoid schizophrenia. However a detailed interview is required for diagnosis. This is recognized mental disorder that occurs most commonly in 20s and early 30s. The doctor to see for treatment is a Psychiatrist. There are several treatment options available for this including oral medications. It is possible that your brother is already seeing a psychiatrist and may be getting treatment which may explain why he has symptoms only at certain times. If not, then you should ask him to see a psychiatrist soon. Since this is a well recognized disorder, standard treatment guidelines are available, and the treatment can be started by any qualified psychiatrist.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/schizophrenia/DS00196/DSECTION=symptoms
Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

now he does not believe his sick or ill, and we do not know how to approach him.

is there any suggested ways. or do you know any doctors in the Qatar or gulf countries.

thanks

Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
I can understand your situation. It is often very difficult to convince mental health patients that they may have a disorder. The best would be that explain to his wife what possibilities may be there for her illness. You can print out this answer and send it to her. Then his wife can talk to him in a calm and understanding manner and convince him that he may have a mental illness for which he will greatly benefit with treatment. It will be difficult for you to convince him over the phone. In any case he should get checked out to be sure of the diagnosis.

I am sorry, I am not familiar with the medical system in Gulf countries. But like I mentioned, this is a disorder that does not need any special or famous doctor. Almost any qualified psychiatrist would be able to diagnose and treat this condition.
Regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thanks doc. but does he need to be hospitalized or is it neccassary.

Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 5 years ago.
From the symptoms you describe, he does not need to be hospitalized right now. But someone should be there to watch over him so that he takes his medication as prescribed. Also if he has any suicidal tendency, he may have to be hospitalized.
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience: MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.