Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

hi, my name is Stephen. I had the flu in February and had

Customer Question

hi, my name is Stephen.

I had the flu in February and had a vomiting bug with it. Ever since that i have been woken up at night with sometimes no feeling in my hand , it only happensd at night and it might last for 20 seconds or so. Once i shake my hands they are ok, and it happens along where the little finger and down the side of the palm of the hand. It comes and goes this, and someone told me i had maybe a vitamin b defiency. I type alot on my job, and someone suggested it was carpal tunnel syndrome, but i have no pain, and infact it went away there for almost 4 weeks , but it sort had returned again.
Could you tell me what the problem is?

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.
Can you describe the fingers it affects -- is it always only the little finger (and half of the ring finger)?

Do you have some numbness in the pinky side of your forearm as well?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it just the little finger , not the forearm, but also from the little finger down along side of the hand. it goes away , but why it annoying me at nighttime? no lack of feeling in the forearm, its fine
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 7 years ago.

When the numbness is so specific, like you describe, only in a certain finger -- it is often due to specific compression of a nerve (not a Vitamin deficiency, which would likely cause more of your fingers / feet to be numb).

So when the pinky is the finger involved, this often makes the doctor think of the ulnar nerve being compressed -- and two locations for this are at the elbow, or at the wrist.

The "funny bone", at the back of the elbow, is the ulnar nerve -- and excess pressure on this can cause numbness that appears to be in the pinky finger. The same thing can happen at the wrist (Guyon's canal), where the nerve can get compressed, and cause this numbness.

Ensuring that you keep off of your elbows probably will help with this, and of course, should it worsen and become really bothersome, seeing your doctor for an exam can sort this all out.