Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
10798432

I have a large painful lump just inside my vagina. When spread

Customer Question

I have a large painful lump just inside my vagina. When spread apart it looks like the opening to my vagina is covered. It hurts to sit and stand and seems worse after a long day on my feet. Sex is extremely painful. When I sneeze it feels like a pin sticking me. It has been going on for about 2 weeks. I have no insurance and no way to seek medical help and I am very scared.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 7 years ago.
This is most likely an inflamed Bartholin gland. This is commonly caused by bacterial infection. Initial treatment is to soak the area in warm water 4-6 times a day for few minutes each time. Also you should be taking analgesics like Ibuprofen 800 mg three times a day. If symptoms persist or get worse, then you should really see a doctor for an exam. Prescription antibiotics may be needed for treatment. A surgical excision of the abscess may also be needed.
Regards.