Dr. Anil Kumar
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience:  M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

I got a bikini wax 2 days ago and now have pimple like bumps

Customer Question

I got a bikini wax 2 days ago and now have pimple like bumps all over the area. How do i get rid of this?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 5 years ago.
As you describe it may be Folliculitis.
It results due to shaving and waxing some of the hair roots or sabeceous glands become infected and turn into these pimples.
A wrong technique or unclean equipment may also cause such a reaction.
It usually subsides in 3-4 days.
Your doctor may prescribe you antibiotics and steroids lotion to resolve the inflammation.

You need to take some preventive measures as well.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would Folliculitis happen so quickly?
I don't think the hair has had time to grow back yet so I think it is just a reaction to the waxing. The salon that did my waxing told me to put hydrocortisone on it.
Well folliculitis can occur after waxing due to irritation of hair follicles and sabeceous glands become infected and turn into pimples.
It can occur sometimes immediately after waxing as well due to damaged hair roots during wrong technique of waxing or uncleaned equipment.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I put hydrocortisone creme 1% over the area.

1. Is there anywhere I should not put the creme? I know it is not for internal use but are the labia and rest of the vaginal area okay?

2. The redness went away substantially overnight but the bumps had previously looked like whiteheads and the white tips are still there. How do I get rid of that?

Thanks
As such hydrocortisone 1% cream can be used for labia and external part of genital area.
As such folliculitis usually subside in few days .
Otherwise you need to take antibiotics and steroid lotion as per doctor advised .
You should use antibacterial soap and maintain a good hygiene.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks. Anything I can do to make the white "heads" go away?
Antibiotics and antiseptic treatment helps in relieving infection(pimples )
Warm compresses can also be helpful.
Most of the folliculitis usually subside in few days .
You should continue to apply hydrocortisone1% cream as well.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there a limit to how long / how much hydrocortisone I can use?
As such Hydrocortisone cream can be used twice daily for 1 week.
Apart from this,you can use an antibacterial wash to clean the infected area.
Also use an antiseptic solution to prevent or arrest the growth of staphylococcus organisms.

Also you can apply some antibacterial topical ointment or gel such as bacitracin.