Nurse Dani
Nurse Dani, Nurse, Retired LVN/LPN
Experience:  Office,Hospital, Pediatric to Geriatric. Experienced In Total Health Care.

When a reporter makes a mistake in a magazine article, you

Customer Question

"When a reporter makes a mistake in a magazine article, you can run a correction; but when a health care worker makes a mistake, someone can die." Reflecting on this statement, should we hold people in certain professions to higher standards of legal accountability and responsibility? What are the advantages and disadvantages of your position?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Dani replied 4 years ago.
<p>Customer,</p><p> </p><p>I jumped in to answer this for many reasons...first, because of your age. Second, because I sit in a unique position in the health care field today. I am a dying breed of field, the nursing field calls us the "Removable ones"...and has for a long time. So you ask, "Should we hold people in certian professions to a higher standard of legal accountablility and responsibility? What ar the advantages and disadvatages of your position?" I will tell you.</p><p> </p><p>First, I am a LVN. I am a Licensed Vocational Nurse. It is my Vocation. Had been for Almost 14 years before I became terminally ill myself and changed rolls, becoming the patient. Each person who holds the title of "NURSE" holds to the value of "DO NO HARM", they study, they learn, they do bedside care to learn and they deal with pressure like no other person can understand, unless, you have walked in the shoes of a student learning the field. </p><p> </p><p>LVN's (Or in some parts of the country LPNS (Practical)) are nurses just as Registered Nurses are, with the exception of we do our schooling in 2 years, we are not registered and we have 1 year of full hands on, bed side clinicals without all the paper pushing (administration work) that an RN does. I can make your bed with you in it, where an RN would have to call someone into do it, unless she had been an LVN before or a Nurse Aide, however few are or have been. </p><p> </p><p>Recently some States have voted to take the LPN/LVN away from the bed side. They have said that a Medication Aide or a Assistant could do the job. They are someone that will work under the license of the RN and do the job of a LPN/LVN and provide the care that they did, however, not be licensed and have the training or schooling that we have had. For years and years, this has been the goal of hospitals in order to save money and of some higher up RN folks to make room for "THEM" and move the "LESSERS" out. </p><p> </p><p>So when you ask me should you hold someone responsible for mistakes in the medical field? YES please do. Start with this mistake right here! And note it when you are in a hosptial sometime. When someone is giving you a pill or a shot or hanging your IV bag. ASK them how much MEDICAL training they have had. How long they have gone to Nursing School and how much Bedside care they have given. Because it now matters more than ever. The person that is now aiding you in the hospital, giving you medications or shots, taking care of your wounds or loved ones, helping you with your new infant or dying loved one, may well have been a clerk in a grocery store just last month...with no previous training in the feild before you were in their care.</p><p> </p><p>There are no "DO OVERS" or retractions in medical mistakes. They should not allow the ones that are not experienced and TRAINED for the field by attending school to be doing the work of nurses.</p><p> </p><p>To remove the LVN/LPN from the bedside is like removing the VP from office. Shame on THEM all. The patient will pay the price and so will their familes. </p><p> </p><p> </p>
Nurse Dani, Nurse, Retired LVN/LPN
Experience: Office,Hospital, Pediatric to Geriatric. Experienced In Total Health Care.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This is my work for my university, I think you did not answer my question correcty. This is a business ethic class so. could please provide a good or better answer please?? Here is the question again.

''When a reporter makes a mistake in a magazine article, you can run a correction; but when a health care worker makes a mistake, someone can die." Reflecting on this statement, should we hold people in certain professions to higher standards of legal accountability and responsibility? What are the advantages and disadvantages of your position?

Yes, we should hold people of certain professions to a higher standard of legal accountablility and responsiblity. The advantages of doing so, for instance, in the case of the health care industry, would allow for safer health care. By having a minumum of training required for professionals, we assure ourselves and our communities a standard of care. We set rules for those providing that care to go by and for some reason, if those rules and laws are not adhered to, we are able to provide sanctions and punishments suitable. <br /><br />The disadvantages to not having a legal and responsible accountability is what could happen in health care as a whole, the system would collapse. Doctors and nurses would have no ramifications if patients were allowed to die in the ER rooms and unskilled people would be providing care. A real disadvantage to this is, however, that having skill costs. Having professionals at any level in any feild costs money. From Health Care, Education, Production and so on, each profession requires a large amount of cash/cost in order to operate and that is a disadvantage in any business. <br /><br />I hope that better answers your question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Dani,

I'm sorry for asking too much but I wiil need at least a reference so my professor would not grade me zero. could you that for me please?

DJ

<p>You want it from a book or how do you want it? </p><p> </p><p>I am mis-understanding how you need the reference done. Do you need like a page and Publication Reference?</p>

"I solemnly pledge myself before God and in the presence of this assembly, to pass my life in purity and to practice my profession faithfully. I will abstain from whatever is deleterious and mischievous, and will not take or knowingly administer any harmful drug. I will do all in my power to maintain and elevate the standard of my profession, and will hold in confidence all personal matters committed to my keeping and all family affairs coming to my knowledge in the practice of my calling. With loyalty will I endeavor to aid the physician, in his work, and devote myself to the welfare of those committed to my care. " Is the Nightingale Pledge by Lystra Gretta, who was an instructor at an old hospital in Detroit Michigan. She wrote this pledge, as a "adaptation" from the doctors oath, for nurses to go by. It is this Profesional Oath that we go by. And it is from there that I qoute or paraphrase. I hope that answers your question. As well, the Board of Nursing governs us Professionally as does a peer review board.