Barb Cavan
Barb Cavan, RN, BSN
Experience:  Over 24 years experience in medical field. RN w/women's health, GI, Cancer, alternative, peds

My blood pressure was always normal to low, but 3 weeks I started

Customer Question

My blood pressure was always normal to low, but 3 weeks I started taking fosamax and femoson-conti and suddenly my blood pressure is to high! I do exercises and they take my blood pressure there and now I am alarmed! What do I do now?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Dani replied 7 years ago.
Hi SS,

Thanks for writing into JA!!

I would definatly contact the doctor and let him know that the change in medication has raised your blood pressure.

Here is why he has changed it though, incase you didn't know. Recent studies out on Fosamax has given some concernt to possible problems with the very things that fosomax is suppose to help, bones. So they have recommended that long term users be taken off it.

In the meantime, I would be sure to let him know and see if there is an alternative medication for him to place you on. There are others and sometimes you will have to find the right mix.

Thanks for writing in again and have a great day!!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, this information i got on the internet as weel
Expert:  Valarie replied 7 years ago.

The Fosamax does not have any warnings or side effects associated with it that are related to blood pressure.

However, the Femostan-Conti (hormone replacement therapy) does. There is a side effect of rise in blood pressure, and a warning:

If you have a rise in blood pressure, stop the medication and contact your physician immediately.

Here is a link to more information about Femostan-Conti from NetDoctor. Scroll down to "Warnings", and read the 5th bullet. Plain femostan also has this warning, but if you did not have this problem, maybe you need to switch back. In any event, call your doctor right away and have this blood pressure problem evaluated.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi, thanks for the answers but i am not satisfied as this is the same answer that i read on the net.

Thank you

Expert:  Barb Cavan replied 7 years ago.
Hi, I would be happy to help you with your question. What information are you looking for? I see in your original question you asked what to do about your high blood pressure, and since it seems to be directly related to your recent changes in medication, what other information are you looking for? do you need information about speaking with your doctor? Or information on alternative medications? Let us know and and we will be happy to answer your further questions.