Nurse Dani
Nurse Dani, Nurse, Retired LVN/LPN
Experience:  Office,Hospital, Pediatric to Geriatric. Experienced In Total Health Care.
19488800

If I refuse to give him a snack I will find him hiding under the table

Customer Question

My son is two and constantly eats throughout the entire day. It doesn't affect his weight at all (he is the right weight for his age and height) but he is constantly hungry. If I refuse to give him a snack I will find him hiding under the table with a box of cereal or dragging a chair into the kitchen to try and get into the cupboards. On a typical day he will eat 2 weetabix, then 2 slices of taost then a banana. Then he will start asking for bread, biscuits or crackers. He will eat right up until lunch time when he will have a sandwich and a packet of crisps and a yogurt. As soon as he has finished that he will start asking for food again and will eat until tea time where he will then eat a proper meal but as soon as he has finished he will start asking for food again. If he doesn't get the snacks he wants he will scream, cry and throw a tantrum until he gets food. I am at a loss at what to do, please can you help. I have taken him to my GP but they say its because he is a growing boy
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Dani replied 5 years ago.

Hi Gemma,

I would like to ask you a couple of questions and work on answers for you from how we assess from there.

-First, How much did your son weigh at birth? and Now?

-What is the make up of your family, meaning Larg frame, medium, small?

-Is there a history of obesity? Diabetes? or Heart Disease? (These are just things I would ask anyone, not because I think your son has them).

-I would also like to know if the doctors have ran any tests?and if so, what?

Thanks and I look forward to working with you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My son weighed 7lb 7oz when he was born and he was 3 weeks early. I am not entirely sure what he weighs at this minute but when he was last weighed about a month ago he was in the ideal weight range for his age and height. He also suffers from eczema and asthma which I don't know if that contributes to any of his uncontrollable eating. I have a small frame and his father and brother have medium frames. There is also a history of obesity in my family but that was grandmother and her mother and sister. There is no history of diabetes or heart disease. Doctors have not run any tests in regard to this problem.

Gemma,

Thanks for writing back so quickly.

Children have natural growth spurts at certain ages. Those that are "Early" tend to want to catch up and are remarkable eaters. Boys will tend to eat like they are starving during these times. It is almost scary how this works. He will go through this stage where he will eat everything in sight and the next month, you will be lucky to get a hot dog to be had by him.

If, at this time he is normal height, weight and development for age, I would not be too concerned. He is having a "normal growth pattern" and will experience many of these through out his life time. However, if this is something that continues to be an issue,

such as, he begins to cry that he is hungry all the time, begins hiding food, or stealing it because he feels you aren't feeding him (patterns that you will notice if they occur), if you notice an obscene amount of weight gain for his age (this will be in the area of 5 to 10 lbs in a matter of two to three months), then by all means, there is an issue.

You may notice behavior changes with this. If so, then alert your doctor. There is a condition that is known as Pradder-Willi Syndrome and it is found in Male Children. Normally it is found in the earlier years (around the ages of 2 to 5) and it is when the eating patterns are so unusual that parents become concerned.

It is a genetic factor, can be controlled with medication, however, there are physical signs. The feet and hands are smaller than a normal child. There are learning disabilities in some, but not all children with this disorder and the children are not on the normal growth chart. Their weight is off the charts, but their height is standard.

A Endocrinologist is needed to test the child for this. Counseling is also involved as it is an emotional issue for the child as well as behavioral.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions that you would like to ask and please be sure to leave feedback if you are happy with the way the question was answered.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The constant eating has been going on throughout his life, there will only be about one day in every month when he won't eat. The rest of the days he is constantly eating all day, every day. He has had growth spurts but they haven't affected the way he is eating. He steals food if i refuse him any snacks. Should I get him tested for diabetese?
The symptoms for diabetes are frequent urination, constant thirst and high sugar counts. You could monitor his blood sugars if you chose to do so. Monitors are relatively inexpensive and available at the drugstores for as little as 19.00. I would keep a record of them before and after meals for a week and present them to the doctor if you chose to do this.
If you have any further questions please feel free to ask them. However, if you are happy with the work that I have done for you, please accept my answer and leave feed back, assessing this work. Thank you and have a nice day!