Mel., Nurse
Experience:  Qualified in 1977,have extensive coronary care & general experience,plus stress related conditions.

Question I have a terrible pain in my right buttock for

Customer Question

Question ??? I have a terrible pain in my right buttock for several days which the pain killers have no effect in reducing all the way up from using Panadeine Forte to Endone 10 mg .So through my local doctor he arranged a radiologist to do a steroid epidural injection { I think he said it was Kenacort and local anaesthetic ]The Radiologist thought it would be the L4/5 as there was mild narrowing in this area as shown on the CT scan as I cannot have an MRI since I have a Pase Maker. The result after a couple days is that the pain has gone from my Buttock and back of my leg to the top muscle of the knee and that sinew bit that runs up the side of the right leg from the knee to the buttock. At least I can now walk as before I could not ,But I have this bad pain when walking but not lying down. Can anyone please advise which area should he inject next as he is not sure himself what area.?Regards Bill.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 7 years ago.

Dear swtt,

Greetings and welcome to justanswer,

As per the symptoms you have described me, it seems that you are having the lumbar spinal stenosis.The pain is caused due to the compression of the nerves and may radiate to lower parts of the body as experienced by you.

The epidural steroid injection may be temporary beneficial as they control the papin and inflammation but the main stay of treatment is the surgical decompression.

You should consult a neurosurgeon or orthopaedic surgeon for the decompression laminectomy which will control tha pain and inflammation.

Please visit here for more information

treatment of spinal stenosis

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No this was not my request!! I asked witch area should be injected NEXT. I have had These Injections for over 5 years with good results{aprox one per year] but the pain has shifted to another area hence my question. Regards XXXXX XXXXX{Doctor of Engineering ]
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 7 years ago.

Dear swtt,

Thank you for the reply,

I opt out so that the other expert can see your question and help you better.

Thank you!

Best regards!

Expert:  Mel. replied 7 years ago.

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have come in on your question to try to help you.

In my personal opinion, it should be L4/5 again. The reason I say this is because what I think has happened is that the pain in your buttock and leg were so bad that the pain on the outside area where you have it now was not noticed.

We often have pain for example in a shoulder. It is so terrible severe that until that is cured we don't realize that we also had pain in our arm. It is only when the shoulder pain is gone that we feel the arm pain. Do you see where I am going with this?

I think that the injection has eased the severe pain and this has made you aware of pain further down. If you had a repeat of the treatment you have already had, it is likely this time to help your current pain. You may then have pain further down your leg for a while as it slowly travels down the nerve and finally out altogether.

If L4/5 is where the narrowing is, then that is where you need the treament.

I hope this has helped you and sincerely XXXXX XXXXX you will be painfree and able to get on with your life again.

With my very best wishes

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Dear Mel, Do you think it would be beneficial to go either side a bit or L2 and lumber to make really sure ?, Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Mel. replied 7 years ago.
<p>Hello, sorry for delay in replying I have been offline for a while.</p><p> </p><p>Yes I see no reason why not, that makes perfect sense.</p><p>Love Mel.</p>
Mel., Nurse
Experience: Qualified in 1977,have extensive coronary care & general experience,plus stress related conditions.