Dr Bhumika
Dr Bhumika, Doctor
Experience:  6 years of experience as family physician, general practitioner; MD Chest Diseases; Allergy, Asthma
14756658

Isnt it very dangerous for a patient receiving norvasc treatment

Customer Question

Isn't it very dangerous for a patient receiving norvasc treatment for high blood pressure to have low pulse rate (around 44) and pulse pressure between 62 and 77?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Bhumika replied 7 years ago.

Could you say:
1. what is your age and sex?
2. do you have any other medical condition?
3. are you on any meds?
4. how long have you had this?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am male, aged 69. Diagnosed last September with enlarged prostate for which doxazosin prescibed. No other meds (beside two cloves garlic). Have had high BP for a few years but on Norvasc a little over a year. Before then was on Briberdin but stopped because of gout side effect.
Expert:  Koleen Roeder A.A.A. R.N. retired replied 7 years ago.
Hi Dabs 2009, It sounds like you need to stop your medication and pop into the doctor's office. Your medication is to strong for you.
HiCustomer

Norvasc is a blood pressure med. Doxazosin is helpful for prostate treatment but it also causes decreased blood pressure. In my view, the action of both these drugs TOGETHER has led to an excessive decrease in the blood pressure. Therefore, it is not just the Norvasc but its combination with Doxazosin which is causing such low blood pressure.

My recommendations:

1. monitor BP - if the readings remain in the same range over 12 hours, you should omit the norvasc and report to the nearest ER for emergency management - this blood pressure and pulse rate is too low

2. Ask your doctor to consider decreasing the dosage/replacing the Norvasc

3. when you are observing the BP at home, keep your feet at a higher level than your heart. This will help your brain and heart remain well infused

4. drink plenty of water. observe the urine output. Output lower than 1 l in a day is a bad sign and your should visit your doc immediately.

Please note Postural Hypotension is a known effect of Doxazosin - you may need to change replace this drug too.

Hope this helped. This conversation is not over unless you are satisfied. Please let me know if I can help you further.
If you are satisfied, please click ACCEPT. Positive feedback and bonuses are always welcome.
Best regards
Dr Bhumika, Doctor
Experience: 6 years of experience as family physician, general practitioner; MD Chest Diseases; Allergy, Asthma