Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience
8227957

My husband was urinting today and felt a pain mid stream and

Customer Question

My husband was urinting today and felt a pain mid stream and saw a slight tint of pink after finishing. When he got home tonite he had drops of blood in his underwear. After he urinated he noticed bright blood coming from the tip of his penis (significant amount) after he finished there was no pain and no continued bleeding for 3+ hours however when he went back to the bathroom there was again a pain at full stream that subsided once he finished urinating but it was then followed by bleeding. Could this be a stone or does it sound more serious? We are trying tofigure out if we should go to the ED this weekend or wait to go to a urologist on Monday as we currrently do not have health insurance.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 5 years ago.

There are many causes of blood in the urine.

Infection of the kidney or the urinary tract, prostate are the most common causes.

Stone in the urinary system may also cause blood with the urine.

Among other causes are clotting disorder, benign prostatic hyperplasia, or any growth of prostate, urinary system, hypertension, diabetes,strenuous exercise etc.

He needs to do investigation to find out the cause of blood in the urine.

I feel he should consult doctor as early as possible to find out the cause of bleeding.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Please ask if you need any clarification.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Does it sound more like one than the other? With the slight "twing" of pain at mid stream that goes completely away after he's finished but it's followed by bright blood (dripping) not just pink tint....I have been looking at online post and some of them tend to lean one way or the other bsaed on the timing of the bleeding and the onset of the "pain " during the urinary process
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 5 years ago.
It can be misleading to find out the cause based on symptoms only.

Intermittent pain may be more common with stone.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
at the time that we first noticed the blood as he continued to use the bathroom ....he wiped the tip of his penis (while pushing an "inspecting") and passed a couple of small blood clots. He originally just thought that perhaps he had ruptured a vessel but was a bit more alarmed when he saw the clot. However he still wants to wait thru the weekend to go see a doctor
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 5 years ago.
It will depend on the amount of bleeding, his physical conditions like pulse , blood pressure etc.

Early start of treatment can avoid complications.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He does have HTN.....is it common for men to have this type of "siuation" from prostate problems? I have never heard of anyone having fresh red blood coming from their penis but of course I have never researched men's health either. He has just gone to the bathroom agian and the bleeding is still following the urination but no where as heavy as before
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 5 years ago.
Prostate problem unusually causes symptom at this age.

It is more common with older ones.