Dr. David, Doctor
Experience:  Ten years practicing as a licensed family physician.

I received my blood lab report by fax with no explaination.

I received my blood lab report by fax with no explaination. The following values were indicated as abnormal.
DNA (ds) Antibody      7     H
RDW                         16.1 H
Absolute eosinophils 4      L
Absolute basophils    4 with normal being 0-200. So would that be a low-normal.

I have a lot of joint pain and swelling, fatique, breathing problems, depression and anxiety, rashes and hives at times. Migrains and Insomnia, too. My doc didn't think it necessary to call me with the results so I asked them to fax them to me. Should I be worried or is this fairly normal blood work, since everything else was in the normal range. I use meds for the asthma and a website said steroids can cause low eosinophils. What should I do.

I would like to help you with your questions about your recent blood tests.

The DNA (ds) Antibody test is meant to screen for the disease Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) and other autoimmune diseases. It is often done in combination with other autoimmune disease markers such as ANA, RF, and SED.

In itself, the high value of DNA (ds) Antibody is not an indication of any particular disease process as it can be normal to have this elevation in some people. If there were other markers present, then it might be more significant.

The RDW of 16.1 is close enough to the normal range (11.0 to 15.0) that it is not a problem in itself. This value is a measurement of the range in sizes of your red blood cells. If some of the other red blood cells values were also off, then this might be more significant.

The eosinophils and basophils are types of white blood cells that have an increased appearance with certain infections and inflammatory processes. The slightly low values here do not have any clinical significance other than being a possible side-effect of your medication.

Overall, these abnormal values are not significant indicators of any disease process. In combination with the other test values which are presumably normal, many possible illnesses have been ruled out. For example, your symptoms are most likely not due to an autoimmune disease such as Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Your results are normal and there is nothing to worry about here. You need to follow up with your doctor to get treatment for the symptoms that you are having if they do not clear up soon on their own.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.