Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
18703594

uterine..bleeding..fibroid (13 cm), and the unusual appearance..tissue

Customer Question

I recently had a myomectomy to remove a large uterine fibroid. I had been scheduled for a minimally-invasive procedure, but due to excessive bleeding, the unexpected increased size of the fibroid (13 cm), and the unusual appearance of the fibroid tissue (soft in some places), my surgeon made the decision to convert to a traditional myomectomy.    

My lab results showed that the uterine fibroid had a mitotic index of 7, which is apparently considered “borderline malignant.” I am scheduled for a CT scan and a follow-up visit with my doctor in the coming weeks. My doctor is advising me to get a blood test and vaginal ultrasound every four months to monitor any changes. I’m concerned about the future need for a hysterectomy and/or this developing into LMS, which I understand is a very aggressive cancer. I currently live overseas and am hoping for the opinion of an American doctor, as treatment in my country of residence tends to be much more conservative compared to the USA.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
I think I answered you last night - and based on your 'address' I take it you are under military care - which is a good thing - I also explained the mititic number to you. However, I would also recommend a gyn-onc consultation with a U.S. trained gyn-onc - and depending where you are in the world - I'll tell you which hospital as far as military hospital will have a gyn-onc available. Take care.
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Douglas,

Thanks very much for your response. We're with the U.S. government, though not the military, so my doctor is "on the economy." I've enlisted the advice of the (American) physician assigned to the embassy where we work, and am now just waiting for my reports to be translated for him to take a look at them. All fingers crossed!

I see that you're a doctor in the armed forces -- thanks so much for serving our country.

All the best,

ksc
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Not a problem, but you are with the U.S. Government so you might be able to get the advice of a gyn-onc - if you are in Europe - the military has a gyn-onc in Germany, and there is one in Okinawa, in Hawaii and I think mainland Japan and also in Korea. I hope this helps, take care. I have 2 gyn-oncs where I work - the largest military hospital in the world. Take care.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Dr. Douglas -- Thanks once again for your note. We're currently serving in Belgium, so the gyn-onc in Germany would be the closest. Would it be possible for you to give me a referral for a consultation with him or her? My husband's with the State Department, and I'm not sure how services overlap within different government agencies.

All the best, ksc
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Hi again,
I wish I could give you a referral - my advice would be to see if you can do this through the embassy, or even try calling the hospital in Lanhstool (I don't know the spelling) - but close - I think it is an Army or Air Force hospital, but they have doctors from all services there - you should have no problem getting a referral since he is with the state department - I worked on state department spouses a few times - although, I have nothing to do with the decisions - I was just told I was seeing them. I wish you the best of luck - I really would suggest giving this a try. Take care.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi again,

Thanks so very much for your note. I'll get started on this on Monday. Your advice has been invaluable -- I greatly appreciate it!

All the best,

ksc
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 5 years ago.
Take care in Europe