Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
9324755

pains in my upper abdomen just below my ribs on both sides

I was drinking tonight with some friends, when I started getting pains in my upper abdomen just below my ribs on both sides. It feels similar to indigestion I've had in the past, but it's been over an hour and usually it subsides by now. I understand that indigestion can be caused by overuse of alcohol and many other dietary issues. Is this serious? And what average household remedies might I be able to use? I have already tried some pineapple juice.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 7 years ago.

Greetings,

How much have you drunk? Any other symptom? Any treatment taken?

Regards.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I had about 4 beers. My tolerance is quite high so this was not a whole lot in comparison to what I can consume before feeling intoxicated. I am a little nauseous and have gas on both sides, but I have lactose issues and have gas quite often.
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

The pains in the upper abdomen sounds to be due to gastritis due to alcohol. You can try antacid liquid or OTC nexium to relieve the symptoms. Gas X can be tried. If the symptoms persists, then you have go to hospital. Sometimes there can be bleeding too.
It will need a consultation with doctor.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your healthy life.
Any query, please ask.
Regards.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Another part of this question, does it make a difference if the pain seems to travel down both sides just underneath the obliques? It seems to come and go there.
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 7 years ago.
It does not make any difference but still you need to be careful, as sometimes it can be a symptom of severe illness like pancreatitis. So if the symptoms persist you should have an examination by doctor at an urgent care or ER.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So you do not believe this is appendicitis?
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 7 years ago.
Appendix pain is not commonly felt below the ribs.