Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

I have chronic pain or pressure in the area of my xyphoid process.

Customer Question

I have chronic pain or pressure in the area of my xyphoid process. I had it and my gall bladder removed over a year ago. I have two bad shoulders. I have had rotator cuff surgery on both my shoulders. they still bother me. Scans of my abdominal region have come up negative. I am now receiving monthly trigger point injections of cortizone in my abdominal area. Helped some, but I know I can't receive them forever. Have tried physical therapy as well. any help appreciated.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 7 years ago.
Hello as you describe there may be possibility of Costochondritis which result in chronic pain at xiphoid process.
Costochondritis is an inflammatory disease of the bone and cartilagenous joints of the ribs.
Other possible cause include Tietze syndrome which result in acute pain in the chest, along with tenderness and some swelling of the cartilages .
Also the pain radiates to the arms and shoulders .
For further reading-
Apart from this there may be associated osteoarthritis in your case.
You need to undergo X-ray of chest , ESR, CRP for further evaluation.
I sugges to you consult your Orthopedist for further evaluation and management.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you DR. Kumar, your answer appears to be on the mark, I will contact my Orthopedist.
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 7 years ago.
You are most welcome.
Thanks for using