Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

phelm or something stuck in my throat, and chest area..saliva

Customer Question

I am looking for some relief, I am sick I think with Allergies, I have the post-nasal drip, but I feel as though there is some phelm or something stuck in my throat, and chest area.
I was able to cough up yesterday both green and red phelm chucks.
Today I cough and it hurts and I am able to move nothing, only clear salivia basically.
I feel like I can't breathe deeply through my mouth, I have a very horse voice, I can however breathe through my nose alright, I have a new room mate and she has the same thing, she got sick first, she said she was not contagious and I guess she was because now when I tell her how I feel she says she understands so I got it too. My room mate's doctor said she has Allergies not strep throat. I have a very sore raw throat from all the coughing. I am taking the generic of Clarintin and the nasal spray Nosonex.
Can you tell my what is the world is going on with me??
Could you recommend something over the counter? Or even a home remedy that will work.
Category: Health
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2-3 days, the 1st day I think I had a fever, but not right now.
I do not have any kind of stuffy nose problems, just feel it in the chest and throat area.
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the reply back.

Sounds like you have a viral upper respiratory infection that might have turned bacterial.

Green/bloody mucus is highly suggestive of infection that might need to be treated with antibiotics or it might get much worse.

I don't know if you have any other medical problems but you probably need to be taking something like Mucinex. It contains guaifenesin which will help thin your mucus and make it easier to cough up. The Claritin is an antihistime and is making your mucus thicker and will make it more difficult to cough up. You also need to be drinking plenty of fluids to help facilitate the mucus removal.

You can also use a humidifier in the room that you spend most of your time in (such as your bed) and this will help with the stuffy chest and raw throat as it will help humidify the air.

If you are not feeling better in a couple more days or you begin to feel worse, you need to see your Dr for antibiotics for a quicker recovery.

********************

PLEASE NOTE: The $$$ that you have put down as a deposit will not go to me until you click "ACCEPT" after reading your answer. Otherwise, it will be held by JustAnswer.com and I will not receive credit for my time and efforts.

Please ask for clarification if needed.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is a viral upper respiratory infection something that is contagious?What do you mean that might have turned bacterial?
Could you explain the difference. I think I had a upper Respitory infection last year too. Is there anything that I can do to avoid this from happening again.
I AM NOT A SMOKER, I know that should help.
I do appreciate all your time and help in this matter.
Yes, a viral upper respiratory infection is contagious.

Bascially, if you start out with something viral (say, like the common cold or influenza), you should not not antibiotics because they will not help with viral infections....the illness should run it's course...however, with things like Influenza, secondary (bacterial infections) could result such as Pneumonia. Even with a common cold, a sinus infection or bronchitis can result. These (Pneumonia, Bronchitis, and Sinusitis) would require antibioitics.

There is nothing you can do to avoid viral upper respiratory infections except stay away from direct contact with people who are coughing, sneezing, and keep your hands washed frequently. Not being a smoker will not help you not contract a viral upper respiratory infection...not being in contact with someone who is sick will help..but that is not always possible as we come into contact with people who are sick at the grocery store and everywhere else we go. The best thing to do is keep your hands washed often and try to stay away from people that you notice are outwardly coughing and sneezing.

Hope this helps, reply back if more info is needed needed

********************PLEASE NOTE: The $$$ that you have put down as a deposit will not go to me until you click "Accept" after reading your answer. Otherwise, it will be held by JustAnswer.com and I will not receive credit for my time and efforts.