How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask liza a Your Own Question
liza a
liza a, Nurse
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 29
Experience:  nurse for 24 years
Type Your Health Question Here...
liza a is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Pap showed atypical glandular cells. My Dr did a biopsy

Customer Question

My Pap showed atypical glandular cells. My Dr did a biopsy today & I am having an ultrasound next week. I have been having lower back pain on my left side - sometimes a sharp pain, but usually more of a dull ache. I didn't think to mention it to my doctor, but thought of it when I got home. Do you think this could be related & should I call my Dr's office & let them know or just wait until they call w/biopsy results. I have had some post menopause bleeding & this is the second time in 2 years I have had an endometrium biopsy. I was wondering if just having a hysterectomy is an option. I am tired of worrying about this, the hassle of having the bleeding too gets annoying & the biopsies hurt. My husband asked me what the doctor is looking for & I told him other than maybe cancer I didn't know. Based on my sypmtons can you tell me what this might be, a possible course of treatment & tell me what kind of questions I should be asking my Dr. I want to be more pro-active & educacated
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  liza a replied 7 years ago.
Hello and welcome. Thank you for your question, and I'm sorry you are having these problems. Your doctor did the biopsy because atypical glandular cells can sometimes be precancerous. I'm sure he/she wants to rule this out. I do think you should let your doctor know about the pain. This could be significant in that pain can be caused by an ovarian cyst or endometriosis. The postmenopausal bleeding is a concern of mine and I'm sure of your doctor's also, as this can be caused by cancer. So the ultrasound will tell more as will the biopsy. A hysterectomy would certainly be in order if cancer were to be the result. Ask your doctor about the possibility of endometriosis and also a fibroid tumor. If you have a fibroid, a procedure called fibroid embolization can be done in lieu of a hysterectomy . This procedure cuts off the blood supply to the tumor, and therefore the tumor will dissolve. I certainly hopes this helps you. Sorry for your trouble. Write me back with any other questions. Thanks so much.
liza a and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your thoughts. My sister has had significant endometriosis issues. I will mention that too to my doctor. Again, thank you for your help.
Expert:  liza a replied 7 years ago.
Thank you! I'm, very glad I could be of assistance and I hope your health concerns are resolved very soon.