Dr.  RK
Dr. RK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice

290 lbs, they took my blood and the results are, Glucose 120..HDL..LDL

I joined ( medical weight loss clinic ) so I can loose weight, I weigh 290 lbs, they took my blood and the results are, Glucose 120, Cholesteral 197, Triglycerides 205, HDL 48.5, LDL 107.5, Cholesterol / HDL Ratio 4.06. I am 47 years old, can you tell me what these levels mean and if medical weight loss clinic's diet plan will bring these levels down or do I have see my doctor. I am layed off and have no insurance.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 7 years ago.

Dear wantlever,

Greetings and welcome to justanswer,

The values of desirable normal cholesterol should be less than 200mg/dl, HDl should be greater than 60mg/dl, LDL should be less than 130mg/dl, and cholesterol/hdl ratio should be less than 4.

As per the value given by you , it is almost normal but since you are also obese so it is desirable to have the weight withing the normal range as per your height and age.

You should take less fat and oil in the diet and do regular exercise as thiswill help you in maintaining the normal values.The taking of PUFA rish oil like sunflower oil , fish oil, etc. is recommended to you.

You may also start taking the OTC weight loss pill like Alli which contains orlistat as this will help in decreasing the fat absorption.You may take 60mg three times a day daily.You may not consult a doctor at this stage as there is no such indication.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did not get information on Glucose or Triglycerides wich are checked high on my report.
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 7 years ago.

Dear wantlevellower,

Thank you for the enquiry,

The blood glucose levels are also high as the value of 110mg/dl is the normal for fasting.

The triglycerides values should be less than 150mg/dl and in your case these values are higher.

Please visit here for more reference of values

normal values of lipid profile

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!