Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice

I have a bruise that mysteriously appeared on my shin and has

Customer Question

I have a bruise that mysteriously appeared on my shin and has been there for several months now. Should I be concerned? I also have bulging varicous veins on the calf of the same leg. Could they be related or symptoms of some serious problem?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 7 years ago.

Greetings and welcome to justanswer,

The bruises like or blue skin can be due to the spider veins which may be bulging nerar the varicose veins.

The varicose veins are treated by non surgical and surgical methods.The compression stockings can be used to control the symptoms.The surgical treatment is needed in cases not responding and if the symptoms are more.

Please visit here for more infomration

treatment of varicose vein

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well, the bruise on my shin is about the size of a nickel and is round in shape like a typical bruise. It doesn't look like spider veins I have seen on other people. My varicose veins are on the back of my leg and am not as worried about them as the bruise because the bruise showed up out of nowhere and it hasn't gone away.
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for the information,

The bruise is a collection of blood caused by damaged capillaries.It may occur in conditions like infective endocarditis, autoimmune disease, trauma, drugs, anticoagulants and blood thinners, etc.

It may take some days to months for the bruise to completely go off and have the normal skin colour.

Please visit here for more information

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
The answer I got didn't quite answer my question. I know what a bruise is, but I was wondering why one would suddenly appear and not disappear for months when I've bruised myself a couple of times subsequent to this one, and they always went away.
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 7 years ago.
Hello.This appears to be a Purpuric lesion.This would be round,about 1-1.5cm in diameter.It can be caused by Arthritic Purpura,Henoch Schnolies Purpura, Chronic Idiopathic Purpura.These are secondary to inflammation of the small vessels/Capillaries,Vasculitis,leading to these spots.Most are short lived 2-4 weeks but some forms do persist for upto 3-5 months.The other causes are coaggulation disorders and Low platelet counts(Idiopathic Thrombocytic Purpura).The problem needs to be investigated and the disease process treated if required.