Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management

Female Toddler - outer genital - clear Fluid filled blisters

Female Toddler - outer genital - clear Fluid filled blisters (pen tip size to eraser sized), if ruptured becomes red sore, scabby red to dark brown, then a red spot where the fluid filled blister reappears, if doesn't rupture the top of the blister sloughs off and becomes the red spot where it reappears. does not seem to itch, but seems painful when cleaned or urinating. 4 weeks now. Family doc thinks strep (no other rash or fever) amoxicillin for 3 days no change. But in looking at derm photos of strep doesn't resemble her issue at all. doesn't have the divot of that mollus c wart thing but in it's first blister stage does have that look minus the bowl shape. no sexual abuse, no change in soap, detergent or shampoo, parents std free, cloth diapered - no new diaper materials, thanks for your help

Hello Momw,

Here is a old fasion mom and nursing advice. Take the diaper off -expose area to the open air. You can use regular corn starch to comfort her and dry out the area. cool Bathing. May be yeast oriented try monistate cream (over the counter)

Hey, food for thought, has your child been vacinated for the chicken poxs? They can appear in the diaper area and even in the vagina itself???????????? Look for any sign of lesion in mouth, ears, hair, underarms. Even if she were vacinated it could be another strain.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry Nurse Roeder - We have had outdoor naked baby for few weeks now - thank goodness for summer! Even blasting her with a cool hair dryer between indoor diaper changes to make sure there is no moisture. Corn starch and baby power my ped said not to use because of respiratory issues. I have looked at yeast derm photos the whole area is red - on my daughter every area of skin besides the 6 blisters is intact with no discoloration or reddening besides under the blister. no chick pox vaccine yet. no other problem areas - doctor throughly checked, I don't think chicken pox would last 4 weeks and keep resurfacing in the same reddened area. But other there other pox that react like that?

It sounds like you are doing everything possible for your daughter. I would suggest that your doctor should test these lesions, or culture them, to see what is causing the rash (if he hasn't already). Because there are blisters-- it sound like a bacterial infection of some sort. Impetigo, a fairly common skin infection especially in children, causes these kind of blisters with redness and crusting. This is not normal diaper rash, or she would have healed weeks ago, especially with the type of care you are giving her.

The other thing I would suggest, especially if she is not potty trained at all (you say she is a toddler), is to change to disposable diapers. Some children cannot tolerate the moisture that is held in a cloth diaper. Disposable diapers have a gel substance in them than wicks the moisture away from the skin, and with frequent diaper changes can actually keep the skin very dry.

Here is a link to more information about Impetigo. If you click on the link on the left side of the page for skin rashes in children, there is a picture of an impetigo lesion on one of the slides.

So to sum up, I would suggest that you see your daughter's doctor again, and ask him to test the lesions for possible bacterial infection. Actually do a culture and sensitivity. This way, if it is a bacteria the test will also tell you what antibiotics will work for it.

Valarie, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 36+ yrs exprience medical, surgical, wound/skin care, nutrition, geriatrics, rehab, management