Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

I hit my head on my car door frame very hard yesterday. It

I hit my head on my car door frame very hard yesterday. It hurt quite a bit, particularly at the point of impact. The pain lasted more or less for 15 minutes. It shook me up and my head ached for about that long. The pain subsided and I had no pain after that and no bump developed. I put ice on it about 45 minutes later when i returned home. I felt a numbing sensation on the top of my head (That is where I hit it....dead on top!).
I went to sleep last night and woke up today feeling fine (I think), but I am paranoid that there could be some lingering, silent danger. The impact was very hard as I thrust my weight forward into the car accidently. Because of all of these reports about people dying from head injuries that seemed insignificant, I am nervous and I do not know if I should go to my local ER. I also have no health insurance and I am frightened at the potential bill from the ER, especially in nothing is wrong. What do you advise?
Thank you very much!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Did you lose consciousness?

How old are you?

Are you taking any blood thinning medication?

Besides the soreness on the top of your head, do you have a worsening overall headache, blurry vision, double vision, nausea/vomiting, weakness, numbness, confusion, lethargy?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did not loose consciousness. I am 33 years old. I am not taking any medication, although I used a generic viagra last week one day. Other than that, none. I have no other symptoms, although I 'think' I feel a very, very slight sensation in the radius around the point of impact. I don't know if I am just projecting that feeling from the horror stories of people dying from what they thought was not a serious injury and psychosomatically feeling 'something' there. But if feels like an extremely low level pressure around where i hit my head....very slight.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
OK.

There are a couple of things going for you here.

You did not suffer a major head injury as evidenced by your lack of loss of consciousness, and the lack of other symptoms.

You are also young. And it also has been many hours since the initial accident.

So it is unlikely that you have suffered a major brain injury -- I would be much more concerned if you had a more serious mechanism of injury, and the fact that it has been over 6 hours is also a good sign, since the severe injuries usually would have made themselves known by now.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So, do you think I am OK? I mean, should I be concerned and go to an ER?
I thought I was fine, but my Mother, being an overprotective parent as well as a form RN, wanted me to go to the ER. I am reluctant due to my lack of health insurance. I think I am OK, but I wanted a professional opinion.
Thanks!
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Please understand that I am only someone sitting over the Internet, and there really is no way for me to examine you to know anything for certain.

But given the amount of time that has passed since you hit your head, with the absence of any neurologic symptoms probably means you are fine. Of course, should you develop any symptoms, going to see the doctor and getting a Ct of the head is warranted.

Most subdural hematomas and epidural hematomas, if significant, would have caused problems by now.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very, very much. I appreciate your help!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I now have a headache and am feeling pressure behind my forehead and a little in my nasal area. Could it be related to hitting my head?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 5 years ago.
Any headache can be related to you hitting your head. But the specific nature of this headache, in the "nasal area" and forehead makes it seem like this could be more sinus headache in nature.
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience: U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery