Mel.
Mel., Nurse
Experience:  Qualified in 1977,have extensive coronary care & general experience,plus stress related conditions.
11403612

The fingernail of the index finger on my left hand keeps throbbing

The fingernail of the index finger on my left hand keeps throbbing and is keeping me awake. It appears to be the indentical condition in the question someone submitted 695 days ago and indicates that the status of the question is closed. I have not injured the finger and have no idea what would be the cause.
Category: Health
Expert:  Mel. replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Welcome to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to help you.

I would like a little more information though please.

How long have you been suffering with this condition?

Are there certain things which trigger the throbbing or is it there constantly?

Are you on any medication?

Have you got any other medical conditions? What tests have already been carried out if any?

If you would be kind enough to tell me those things it will help point me in the right direction.

Thank you and look forward to hearing back from you.

Love Mel.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
For a great number of years (30?) I've had the problem of sensitivity to sudden pressure on the fingernails. However, it's come and gone and for five or maybe ten years I thought it had gone away. (But it's been back again for the last year or two.) I don't know if that's related to the problem I'm reporting now, but I suspect it is. I awoke from sleep a couple of hours ago with one fingernail throbbing and have gone on the web to look for an answer. If I apply ice to the fingernail it takes care of the problem for a short while until the feeling returns to the finger and the throbbing then continues. I'm in terrific health and the only drug that I take is a testosterone cream that I've been taking for years. As I mentioned, no doctor that I've mentioned my fingernail sensitivity to has had any idea what the problem could be. This problem of the fingernail throbbing without any impact is new, however.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm going back to bed now and will try to get some sleep.
Expert:  Mel. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for that.

Well from your description, it sounds to me as though you have a problem with a sensory nerve in your cervical spine.

Every part of our body is supplied by nerves coming from the spine. The nerve which supplies the lateral forearm, thumb and index finger is in the neck or cervical spine.

It is quite possible that you have had a mild degeneration of one of the discs in your neck for some years and as time has gone on it has impinged the nerve which supplies your index finger.

The pain you felt today on waking could have been due to your position in bed. An impinged nerve however minute will always be susceptible to inflammation if it gets extra pressure on it which will result in numbness and/or severe throbbing pain.

An MRI would prove or disprove this theory.

The only other thing I can suggest is narrowing of the tiny blood vessels supplying your finger. This would cause throbbing pain as the blood pulsates with each beat of the heart trying to push through the vessel.

It is a bit like a three lane motorway (or freeway depending where you are) suddenly and without warning having two lanes shut. If you can imagine the volume of traffic trying to get through as they attempt to merge from three lanes into one and the stopping and starting as one car lets another in, it will give you a rough idea what goes on in the blood vessel. The only problem with this theory is that I would have expected the tip if the finger to be white or blue, and cold.

I still feel that my first theory is more likely to be the correct one. What makes that fit even more is the relief you are getting from ice.

It would be worth trying to see a neurologist who would be able to help you with this.

I hope this helps a little and I do sincerely XXXXX XXXXX better soon, this sounds extremely painful you poor sweetheart!!

With my very best wishes

Mel.

Mel., Nurse
Experience: Qualified in 1977,have extensive coronary care & general experience,plus stress related conditions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK, the impinged nerve idea sounds plausible. However the second theory is unlikely as the throbbing is not at all in sync with my heartbeat. The throbbing occurs anywhere from 1 second apart to maybe 20 seconds apart. I've been just accepting the bumped finger pain but this development last night is something else entirely. Hopefully it was an isolated incident as it seems to be OK at the moment. (It could be that it's still there but if it is, it's so faint that it's hard to say if it's just my imagination.)

I'm happy to have someone come up with a diagnosis but I'm not happy about the answer as I realize that there might not be any resolution for the condition you describe.

Thank you for your work on this. I would have clicked on the Accept button but I wanted to be able to type this reply. When the Accept button appears again I'll click it.