Barb Cavan
Barb Cavan, RN, BSN
Experience:  Over 24 years experience in medical field. RN w/women's health, GI, Cancer, alternative, peds
16246315

groin pain, post menopausal, early menopause, before 50

Customer Question

Category: Health
Expert:  Barb Cavan replied 7 years ago.

HI,

Thanks for your question this evening.

Can you clarify your question for me? I will be happy to help you, but need more information so I can give you more specific information.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
female type pain, lower than cramps. Wakes me up at night
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is it something I should be concerned about? Early menopause, but still a cramping feeling, but much lower than menstral cramps. Have not done the pap and such in years. Lack of period, lack or Drs. Again, awakes me.

Have you had hormones tested? On any hormonal therapy? any signs of urinary tract infection?

It sounds like you could have a hormonal imbalance, in which case you can take hormonal replacement therapy or a natural alternative (which includes bio-identical hormones, and natural progesterone creams). Are you having other symptoms of hormone imbalance such as hot flashes, night sweats, headaches, etc?

If you haven't had cramps before, or these are much more severe, I would certainly want to run tests. I would run a hormone panel, including testerone. Are you sexually active? One partner? I would also go through these questions to determine which other tests should be run including tests for STD's and pelvic inflammatory disease or infection. I would also want to take a look with ultrasound at your organs (You didn't mention any surgery, do you still have organs?), do a pap smear, and run a test to rule out an urinary tract infection. You didn't mention if you had any children, but if the cramping continued, I might want to order a pelvic MRI, which can find things such as pelvic congestion syndrome, which is characterized by pelvic varicose veins.

If all those tests come back normal, I would suggest starting with a small amount of progesterone cream and perhaps a small dose of bio-identical hormones to see if that would help with the cramping.

In the meantime, heat, ibuprofen or advil, sometimes elevating your legs, hot baths, and some herbs, such as black cohosh, motherwort, red rasberry leaf, and red clover are all good home remedies for cramping. If these are not working or the cramping continues, I would urge you to seek medical care and ask about the tests and procedures I have mentioned above. As I am sure you are aware, after menopause, any new cramping is a concern and should be thoroughly investigated to rule out any serious problem such as infection or cancer.

I wish you well. If you have further questions or need clarification, please do not hestitate to ask, I will be happy to help you further.

Please don't forget to click "accept", it's the only way I am paid for my time and work.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your advise!!!
I hope it is helpful advice. I wish you well!