Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice

hi, recently I have noticed that I am misprouncing my words

Customer Question

hi, recently I have noticed that I am misprouncing my words when I speak, not every word,ust sometimes in a sentence the word comes out wrong, eg: If I Mean to say hiDe i'd say wide. It dosent seem to happen all the time just sometimes and recently I have been paying attention to every word I say and it appears to be happening more. I did have a brain mri /w contrast last october 2008 on a high level mri machine 3.0 and it was normal(reason for mri was a twitch in lip) turned out to be related to a surgery I had for my septum. I am a hypochodriac(admitted) and worry that I have a brain tumor or stroke. I do have some stinging pains in my handrs and feet which I have had before. Had a emg 2007 was good. Had a brain mri in 2007 also for muscle twitches related to stress. I have been paying attention to every word I say and its driving me nuts....
Category: Health
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 7 years ago.
Hello.The common causes of such problems are Dyslexia,Dementia ,Anxiety and stress.The dyslexia ,if at all present would have been there earlier too.The frontal brain aberrations result in speech problems,emotional blunting,lack of organisational skills and social skills and a Normal MRI seems to rule out most frontotemporal/frontal lobe problems.Stress and anxiety may be the commonest cause of stuttering/word substitution.Since you are having increased levels of stress, it is possibly due to this only.I suggest you take some anxiolytics like Buspirone or Benzodiazepines like Clonazepam.A antidepressant may also help if elements of depression are also seen.Your gP/PCP/ Neurologist will be able to guide you after examining you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
would a normal brain mri 8 months ago most likley rule out at tumor, or could one have developed causing symptoms. I also suffer from sleep apnea and can not tolerate the cpap machine I am wondering if my body being tired could this be making my brain tired also causing this problem?????